This is the perfect healthy family meal filled with protein, grains, veggies, and cheese. It’s like a burrito bowl baked in the oven so the cheese gets all melty. It’s slightly spicy and very filling. It makes great leftovers – hot or cold. This meal feeds my family twice. If your family is larger (or your kids are older), then this may be just the right amount of food.
I started with summer squash cut into half-moons.
Next, I added diced tomatoes and onions.
Then brown rice and black beans.
Followed by cheese, seasonings, and chicken.
Mix it all up until it’s nicely blended and spread it into a greased casserole. Pour on more cheese and bake until it’s melted perfection.
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
- 3 cups yellow summer squash, cut into half-moons
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 16 oz. can diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 16 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (or a combination of the two)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Stir in brown rice. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook rice for 45 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, reserve 1 cup of cheese and combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Pour into a greased, 9x13 casserole. Sprinkle with the reserved cup of cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until the squash is tender and the cheese is melted.
- I have successfully converted this meal to vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth for vegetable broth, omitting the chicken, and adding a third can of black beans.
Source: Adapted from Six Sisters Stuff.