Getting Started With Natural Cleaning
If you’re curious about natural cleaning products (but don’t know where to start), this guide is for you. The best way to get started with natural cleaning is baby steps. Switch out your products one by one, so you’re not left feeling overwhelmed and have time to decide what does and doesn’t work with your family. Here are a few ways to get started:
Start with Simple Ingredients
White distilled vinegar and baking soda are very inexpensive and have many uses around the home. Baking soda is a great deodorizer for carpets (sprinkle on your carpet, wait 10 minutes, and vacuum) and vinegar is great for cleaning glass and stainless (mix 1 part vinegar + 1 part water in a spray bottle).
Another ingredient I love for homemade cleaning products is Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap. A little goes a long way and a bottle may last you several months to 1 year depending on how often you use it. It has so many uses. You can use it as soap for your body, hands, or dishes. It’s also the base for many homemade cleaning products. (This post contains affiliate links)Getting started with natural cleaning is easier than you think Click To Tweet
Check the Ratings
Warning: This site may overwhelm you. Many of the cleaning products you probably grew up using are rated a D or F.
The EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning is an amazing resource. It’s essentially a search engine with safety ratings for over 2500 cleaning products. You can determine which of your cleaning products are the most harmful and check the ratings of new products before you try them in your home.
They also explain their ratings. Some products get a bad rating based on the scents added to cleaning products – which may or may not be a problem for your household. It’s nice to have the option to drill down and make the best decision for your family.
Purchase More Natural Products
If you don’t want to go the homemade route, check out Grove Collaborative. They are an amazing resource for natural cleaning products. Grove is like the amazon for natural cleaning and beauty products.
They offer free shipping, a big selection, and a 100% happiness guarantee. The happiness guarantee is awesome because they will give you a full refund if you don’t like a product. Their customer service is also amazing and you will get to speak with a live person.
I love making my own products, but now that I’m expecting baby number three, I just don’t have as much energy to dedicate to making my own products. Grove has been a lifesaver, because I know they only sell natural products and have high standards. It’s so much easier than trying to wade through all of the products that claim to be “green” at the store.
After a lot of trial and error, here are the products I LOVE:
- Mrs. Meyer’s Hand Soap in Lavender – Get it FREE for signing up through this link
- Method Dish Soap in Sea Minerals
- Seventh Generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner
- Seventh Generation Glass and Surface Cleaner – It works as well as traditional glass cleaners without the ammonia. I use it on granite, stainless, mirrors, and windows.
- Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent – As I mentioned before, I gave up on making my own detergent and this detergent actually works as well as the more popular (and more toxic) brands.
- Seventh Generation Laundry Stain Remover – Another great product! All of Katie’s clothes seem to be light colors and she is always messy. Stain remover is a MUST in our house.
Image Source: Pixabay.com