Sweet and Spicy Meatloaf
This meatloaf is a meal I have been making for my family for some time now. In fact, my first post on Aileen Cooks shows my kids eating this meatloaf.
This dish takes meatloaf to another level with the addition of Italian sausage. I’ve played around with the flavor combination a lot and finally settled on ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, and red pepper flakes.
It’s packed full of veggies, making it a smart choice for kids who aren’t too keen on eating their anything green on their plates.
Serve this with: Honey Roasted Carrots & Zesty Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup ketchup + ¼ cup for topping
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion, carrots, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Mix in the ⅓ cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, crushed red pepper, salt, and dried parsley. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, and cooked vegetables.
- With clean hands, knead the meat-vegetable mixture until it is fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup ketchup.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and drain fat. Let sit for 10 minutes prior to slicing.