This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HorizonHappiness #CollectiveBias
These whole wheat mixed berry muffins are filled with naturally sweet raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries and drizzled with a yummy glaze. They are a perfect lunch box item because they travel well and pair perfectly for breakfast or lunch.
I made these muffins with part white whole wheat flour and reduce the sugar to make them a better option for kids’ lunches.
I love baking muffins because they are delicious fresh out of the oven and extremely easy to freeze and pull out individually for a quick breakfast or snack. These whole wheat mixed berry muffins can also be taken from the freezer in the morning, tossed in a lunch box, and will be defrosted by lunch time.
These muffins are made with Horizon® organic milk. Their milk comes from cows not given growth hormones* or antibiotics and raised on farms that follow sustainable organic practices. I like that the milk adds a nice moisture to the muffins and it’s something I always have on hand.
I also used Horizon Organic Half & Half for the glaze on top. It made the drizzle rich and creamy.
I was able to pick up both Horizon products at Walmart.
- 1½ organic cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- 1¼ sticks organic unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Horizon Organic Half and Half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, cane sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the Horizon Organic Whole Milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until just combined. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Fold in the frozen mixed berries.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the lined muffin tin. Fill each muffin slot to the top, almost overfull.
- Place the muffin tin on top of a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the tops of the whole wheat mixed berry muffins are golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and Horizon Organic Half and Half. Drizzle on top of the muffins.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
- To freeze: place muffins on a cookie sheet (not touching) for 3-4 hour. Once frozen, place muffins in a zip top freezer bag or freezer safe container. Defrost at 50% power for 1 minute or defrost in the refrigerator.
More Muffin Recipes:
- Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Muffins with Vanilla Glaze
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- The Best Double Chocolate Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins