If you enjoy getting a little crafty during the holidays, you are going to have a great time making these adorable homemade Santa belt ornaments. These ornaments are such a simple DIY holiday project to make, and it is one that the children can help with as well.
Dollar Store Santa Belt Ornaments
You will need just a few supplies to make these cute holiday ornaments, most of which you can pick up at your local dollar store. One ornament can cost under one dollar to make! These homemade Santa belt ornaments are a great inexpensive Christmas decoration and they would make wonderful handmade holiday gifts for your family and friends too.
Below are some great tips on how to decorate clear ornaments, ways to hang your ornaments, and how to decorate your holiday tree like a pro. Make sure you check out our other fun Christmas tutorials:
- DIY Glitter Ornaments
- Festive Christmas Truck Wreath (in just 30 minutes)
- Mason Jar Christmas Centerpieces
- Christmas Eve Box (a Super Easy Family Tradition)
How do you decorate clear ornaments?
There are so many fun ways to decorate clear ornaments, and my favorite is most definitely these homemade Santa ornaments. Other ways to decorate clear ornaments could include painting designs on them, using markers to draw a design, or filling them with feathers. The possibilities really are endless.
What do you hang ornaments with?
People use all different things to hang ornaments with. Some use string or ribbon, and some use basic ornament hooks. I personally like to use the decorative ornament hooks, to give the ornaments a more elegant touch.
You may also like: Christmas Breakfast Casserole
How can I decorate my Christmas tree like a pro?
You can easily decorate a professional looking Christmas tree yourself. Most people would use an artificial Christmas tree to do this, as you have more flexibility with the branches and such. You will want to be able to fluff the branches and place them in the right positions to create the overall look of your professional holiday tree. For this reason, you may consider investing in a high quality artificial tree.
You will want to design around a theme, and these homemade Santa ornaments would go nicely with a Santa theme, a red and white theme, and other themes that you may come up with.
To decorate your tree like a pro, start by stringing the lights, then choose the right decorations, and cluster your baubles first. I would suggest using at least one dozen of these homemade Santa ornaments, depending on the theme and size of your tree. Next, layer and style ribbons, and use some tree picks as well. In no time at all, you will have a beautiful looking tree.
- Plastic ball ornament (Dollar tree)
- Small decorative glitter balls (Dollar Tree)
- Black ribbon - ¼ inch thick
- Gold washi tape (¾ inch - ½ inch wide)
- Glue dots
- Wrap the ribbon around the ball ornament, and cut when the ends meet.
- Apply a glue dot to one end, then one in the middle, and one at the other end. Make sure that the ribbon lines up and appears to look even through this process.
- Cut about ½ - ¾ inch piece of washi tape, making sure it is straight on each end. I cut a larger piece, and used an Exacto knife to make sure that the end cuts were nice and straight. Apply to the center of ribbon with a glue dot, for added sticking ability. (this becomes santa’s “belt”)
- Remove the top from the ornament. Fill the ornament with the red glitter balls. Replace the top of the ornament.
Did you try this tutorial for Santa belt ornaments? Let us know what you thought with a comment below! You can also tag us in your creations on social media using @aileencooks.