This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
This is going to be your new favorite grilling recipe! Tender shrimp topped with lemon juice, melted butter, and a slightly spicy seasoning mixture and then grilled to perfection!
What is grilled shrimp on the barbie?
Grilled shrimp on the barbie is the Australian version of grilled shrimp. This recipe is inspired by a grilled shrimp recipe my husband and I love to order at an Australian steakhouse. Since we have 3 kiddos (soon to be four), we don’t get out as much as we used to.
So, we recreated it at home. We have been making this recipe for many, many years and decided it was time to share it with the Aileen Cooks family. Our grilled shrimp on the barbie recipe is made with a flavor-packed and slightly spicy seasoning mixture. It really makes this recipe, so you don’t want to skip it! We also use fresh lemon juice and melted butter on our shrimp prior to grilling. Yum.
Our go-to store for grilling essentials
All of the ingredients for this recipe and all of your grilling needs can be found at Safeway. That’s where I picked up everything I needed for our grilling night. Safeway is my go-to for grilling essentials.
They have quality meats, seafood, seasonings, and vegetables. Plus, they have all of the extras I might need, like skewers, tongs, even charcoal! Safeway also has a great selection. They have your classic grilling options along with some great vegan options.
Find all your grilling needs at Safeway or Shop this week’s ad for items on sale at your local Safeway store I shopped at Safeway in my local area, but you can also find all your summer grilling essentials at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market and Tom Thumb.
Even though we have been stuck at home these last few months, being able to shop at my nearby grocery store and have a barbecue dinner with my family gives me a sense of normalcy during these unsure times.
Safeway also offers Grocery Deliver and Drive Up & Go™ for convenient ways to shop! As a busy mom (who doesn’t necessarily want to bring her kiddos in the store), this is a huge lifesaver for me! It’s also perfect when I’m just too busy to go grocery shopping. I used Safeway’s Grocery Delivery a lot while I was recipe testing for my cookbook.
How to make Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie?
(Full printable shrimp and remoulade sauce recipe can be found at the bottom of this page)
- Start by preparing your shrimp. They will need to defrosted (if frozen), peeled, and deveined.
- Place shrimp on skewers so they are lightly touching.
- Brush shrimp with lemon juice and melted butter.
- Mix up a seasoning of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, chili powder, sugar, and cayenne.
- Sprinkle one side of shrimp with seasoning.
- Place skewered shrimp seasoning side down on a hot grill.
- Sprinkle the remaining seasoning on top.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve, topped with chopped parsley and paired with homemade remoulade sauce.
Homemade Remoulade Sauce
(full printable recipe is at the bottom of this page)
This sauce is so simple and makes the perfect dipping sauce for seafood. I especially love it with grilled shrimp. Here is how to make it:
- Mix together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, creole seasoning, hot sauce, roughly chopped capers, minced garlic, pickle juice, paprika, lemon juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container, up to 5 days.
What to serve with grilled shrimp on the barbie?
I recommend grilling your whole dinner! Serve this grilled shrimp as an appetizer to a nice juicy steak and some grilled zucchini. To finish the meal, I recommend a yummy summer dessert like no-bake strawberry cheesecake or peach cobbler.
More tasty grillling recipes:
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons capers, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- If frozen, defrost shrimp by placing in a collander and running under cold water.
- Skewer shrimp onto skewers so they are nestled together. Set aside.
- Combine 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Mix until combined.
- Brush lemon juice on both sides of skewered shrimp and then top with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle a liberal amount of the seasoning mixture over the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp (seasoning side down) on a hot grill.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the remaining seasoning.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes and flip.
- Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until shrimp is opaque and tails are pulling toward the body.
- To make the remoulade sauce, combine all of the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes prior to using. This prevents them from burning.
Remoulade sauce can be made ahead of time. Store any unused sauce in an air tight container in the refrigerator, up to 5 days.
This recipe calls for jumbo shrimp. If using smaller shrimp, the cook time will be less.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1/4 pound shrimp
Amount Per Serving Calories 585Total Fat 50gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 37gCholesterol 278mgSodium 3177mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 28g
Nutrition information is an estimate.