Make your own Thai-style yellow chicken curry at home with this easy instant pot chicken curry recipe! Chicken curry in the pressure cooker is ready so fast and tastes just like your take-out favorite.
I first fell in love with yellow chicken curry when I worked in San Francisco as a technical reciter. There was a Thai restaurant we would frequent for birthday lunches, client lunches, and eventually any time I could find the excuse.
Back in those days, I was not an adventurous eater. I was nervous to try Thai food. I’m not even sure why, except that it was unknown.
Falling in love with yellow chicken curry
Then came they yellow chicken curry. I fell in love hard and fast. I ate it at least once a month and even convinced my boyfriend (now husband) to make the trek out to the city just so he could eat it with me.
Fast forward 10 years and 3 kids, I don’t make it out to the city very often (ever) and going out to eat doesn’t happen often either. We do get the occasionally take-out yellow curry, but the prices add up with a family of 5 (who all now love chicken curry).
Chicken Curry in an instant pot
That’s when I saw my friend Fanny from Living Richly on a Budget’s Instant Pot Thai curry recipe, I knew I had to try it! I adapted her recipe by adding carrots and potatoes and voila. Perfect homemade instant pot chicken curry.
The key to making the best instant pot chicken curry is really in the sauce. We use the yellow curry sauce from Trader Joes along with a can of coconut milk. You don’t have to use that brand, but combining the sauce and the coconut milk is really what makes this dish amazing. So don’t skip either of them!
What to serve with instant pot chicken curry?
Our go-to side dish with instant pot yellow chicken curry is brown rice or cauliflower rice. Both are excellent choices.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (11-ounce) bottle Thai yellow curry sauce
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
- Press saute button on instant pot and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add in cubed chicken. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often until chicken is browned. About 4 minutes.
- Pour in curry sauce and deglaze bottom of instant pot.
- Turn instant pot off.
- Mix in coconut milk (some seperation is okay), carrot, potato, and onion.
- Close lid and set pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press manual or pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Quick release remaining pressure.
- Serve chicken curry over rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1/4 dish
Amount Per Serving Calories 573Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 158mgSodium 565mgCarbohydrates 29gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 5gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 38g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot chicken curry? Give us a star rating and review (above)!