Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans are a zesty spin on the traditional black bean recipe! This vegetarian instant pot recipe is made using dried beans, so it’s very affordable, too!
I love making delicious and affordable meals in my instant pot. If you haven’t already, make sure to check out my cookbook, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Affordable Meals Recipe Book. It’s packed full of 175 recipes that all cost $12 or less to make!
For more tasty instant pot recipes, check out our full list of instant pot recipes here. If you want more inspiration for cooking with beans, try our instant pot baked beans recipe. It’s sure to be a hit at your next barbecue.
Pressure Cooker Cuban Black Beans
Cuban black beans are made with onion, bell pepper, garlic, spices, and red wine vinegar. The combination of flavors dances off your tongue and makes these black beans anything but ordinary.
How to make instant pot cuban black beans?
- Start by heating olive oil using the sauté function on your electric pressure cooker.
- Mix in diced onions and bell peppers.
- Cook until soft.
- Mix in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in 3 cups water and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in black beans, vegetable stock, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and a bay leaf.
- Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove one cup of the cooked cuban black beans and mash them up. You can use a fork or potato masher.
- Mix the mashed beans back into the pot.
- Serve and enjoy!
How long to homemade black beans stay fresh?
Cooked black beans will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. They should be cooled fully and then stored in an air-tight container in the fridge.
If you plan on eating them after the 3 to 5 day timeline, we recommend freezing them and then defrosting them in the fridge overnight.
How to serve cuban black beans?
These easy cuban black beans make a perfect meal when served over white or yellow rice and topped with diced tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. All of the flavors from the vegetables and spices really make it a complete meal.
Pin this recipe for later
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) package dry black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Press the saute button on your instant pot. Wait for the screen to say "hot".
- Add the olive oil, bell pepper, and onion to the instant pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften. About 3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Pour in the water and deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any bits of food that may have stuck to the bottom.
- Press the cancel button on your instant pot.
- Mix in the black beans, vegetable stock, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and bay leaf.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to "sealing".
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Once cooking is completed, all the pressure to naturally release for at least 10 minutes.
- Quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove one cup of beans and mash them up with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix the mashed beans back into the remaining cuban black beans.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serve over yellow or white rice and topped with diced onion, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro.
Cooked cuban black beans will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They should be fully cooled before refrigerating and stored in an air-tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 156Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1047mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is an estimate.