Are you looking for a warm and filling weeknight dinner? This is sloppy joes recipe is for you. They are ready in just 30 minutes and a great cooking recipe for kids.
How to make sloppy joes
Start with diced carrot, onion, and celery. Cook them on the stove top until they start to soften; approximately 2-3 minutes. Then, add the ground beef, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until the meat is nice and brown.
Meanwhile, make the sloppy joe sauce. This is what gives it that signature taste and makes them “sloppy”. Whisk together some water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and barbecue sauce. I used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Next, drain the fat and mix in the sauce. Bring the sauce just to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered for about 10 minutes. Stir the sloppy joes relatively often, cooking until most of the sauce has been absorbed.
Remove from the heat and serve in warmed hamburger buns.
Skip the can and make these from-scratch sloppy joes in 30 minutes or less.
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 1/3 lb ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrot, onion, and celery. Stir fry the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook until the meat is browned. Drain the fat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, and BBQ sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the ground beef mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook until most of the sauce has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Server warm with hamburger buns.
Amount Per Serving Calories 450
Never miss out on a recipe, sign up for my mailing list.