This juicy Instant Pot Italian beef is seared in the instant pot and then cooked to fall apart tender in a sauce of beef broth and peppers.
Traditionally served on crusty rolls, the Italian beef sandwich is a total classic. Instant pot Italian beef is so versatile. It can be served as the meat alone with a couple of sides or can be placed on the rolls and topped with provolone cheese.
If you are looking for more main dish instant pot recipes, try our Instant Pot Roast Beef, instant pot ham, instant pot apple BBQ ribs, or instant pot whole chicken. I also published an Instant Pot cookbook, available at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Target.
What kind of meat for instant pot Italian beef?
We use a 5 pound chuck roast for this Italian beef recipe. I like to wait until they go on sale and then stock up on a couple so I can make crockpot roast with gravy, pot roast, beef tacos, and Italian beef whenever the urge strikes.
I love cooking with a chuck roast because most recipes (like this one) are relatively hands off. It has the perfect amount of fat marbled inside to add extra flavor and comes out pull apart tender when cooked in the instant pot or crock pot.
The seasoning blend we use is fairly simple but adds a lot of flavor to the meat. Make sure you rub it on before searing your meat so it cooks right into the crust of the chuck roast.
The peppers add that classic Italian flavor that you love about Italian beef. If you don’t want to actually eat the peppers, you can discard them before serving, but many people love the flavor combination so I suggest you give it a try.
I don’t have an instant pot. Can I make Italian beef in my crockpot?
Yes. You can easily convert this recipe to a slow cooker Italian beef recipe! Here is how:
- Sear the roast as directed in the recipe on the stove in a heavy bottom pot.
- Place the roast, broth, and peppers in your slow cooker (just as you would in the instant pot – pictured).
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Shred the beef with two forks and serve!
How do I make Italian beef sandwiches?
- After cooking your meat (in the instant pot or slow cooker), layer it on a crusty roll and topped with slices of provolone cheese. Pile it high!
- Place the filled sandwich on a baking sheet and place it under your broiler for 30-60 seconds, until the cheese is melted.
- It comes out like a hot toasted sandwich you would buy at Subway but so much better!
Low carb Italian beef
As I have mentioned in a few other posts, my husband is on the Keto diet. It’s been about 6 months and he is still going strong. Although the kids and I don’t eat Keto, I have tried to embrace low carb dinners so we can all eat the same meal. However, I will continue to share a variety of family-friendly recipes on my blog.
This Italian beef recipe itself is low carb. However, it does have a small amount of sugar in the seasoning blend. If you are strict about your sugar intake, you could omit it or substitute it with stevia.
What to serve with instant pot Italian beef?
Italian beef is great when paired with a roasted vegetable like broccoli or cauliflower. We also recommend a starchier side like instant pot baked potatoes, instant pot garlic mashed potatoes, or cauliflower mashed potatoes.
This juicy instant pot Italian beef is seared in the instant pot and then cooked to fall apart tender in a sauce of beef broth and peppers.
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 5 pound chuck roast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pepperoncini peppers, with juice
- In a small bowl, mix together the Italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, salt, black pepper, and celery salt.
- Patt the beef roast dry and rub seasoning mix all over it.
- Press the saute button on your instant pot and add oil.
- Place the roast in the hot oil and sear on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Once the roast is fully browned, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the beef broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot, making sure to scrape any bits of food stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in the pepperoncinis and juice.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press the meat/stew setting for 60 minutes. Alternately, press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 60 minutes.
- Allow the pot to natural release.
- Remove the lid and shred the meat with two forks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8-QT, Stainless Steel/Black
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 916Total Fat 58gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 340mgSodium 767mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 5gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 86g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot Italian beef? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.