Are you looking for a delicious hot chocolate bomb recipe? We will show you, step-by-step, how to make your own hot cocoa bombs at home and turn them into adorable (and tasty) unicorns!
Hot chocolate bombs are all the rage these days! Over the next couple of months, I will be sharing several hot chocolate bomb recipes with you, including white chocolate hot cocoa bombs and andes mint hot chocolate bombs, so stay tuned! Make sure you also check out our traditional hot cocoa recipe, Homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
What is a hot cocoa bomb?
If you haven’t heard of these fun desserts, you are in for a real treat! It’s a chocolate ball filled with hot cocoa mix that melts when you pour hot milk on top.
For several years, Trader Joes would release a hot cocoa snowman that people would hurry to buy around the holiday season. This year, many people have taken to making it themselves, with lots of different designs and flavors. I am totally here for it!
What do I need to make this hot chocolate bombs recipe?
The most important thing you will need is a mold for making the hot cocoa bombs. We got ours on Amazon and they were very affordable! Here is the full list of items needed for making unicorn cocoa bombs:
- 6 Sphere Silicone Mold
- White Candy Melts
- Unicorn Cupcake Decorating Kit
- Wilton Flower Cookie Decorations
- Hot chocolate mix
- Rainbow Colored Mini Marshmallows
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- 1 (12-ounce) bag white candy melts
- Wilton unicorn cupcake topper kit
- Wilton candy flower cookie decorating kit
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1/3 cup rainbow colored mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons rainbow colored sprinkles
- 1 (6-sphere) silicone hot cocoa mold
- Pour candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 seconds increments, stirring each time, until candy has melted and is shiny.
- Spread the candy melts up the sides of the mold until every bit of the mold is covered.
- Let the molds sit 5 minutes and re-spread any candy melts that sank to the bottom of the molds.
- Refrigerate molds for 30-45 minutes.
- Once set, carefully remove candy melt spheres from mold.
- Fill half the spheres with the hot cocoa powder, marshmallows and sprinkles.
- Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute.
- Remove the plate and immediately place each empty sphere on the hot place to heat the chocolate edges.
- Place each heated sphere on each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam.
- While your cocoa bombs set, re-heat the left over candy melts.
- Once bombs have set, use the heated candy melts as a glue to place the unicorn pieces & flowers on the hot cocoa bombs.
- To serve, pour 1 cup hot milk (any variety) over hot chocoalte bomb.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2 Pcs 6 Holes Semi Sphere Silicone Mold Half Sphere Baking Mould Pan for Making Chocolate Bomb, Cake, Jelly, Dome Mousse,Handmade Soap (Pink)
ROSANNA PANSINO by Wilton Unicorn Cupcake Decorating Kit
Chefs Select Decorative Rainbow Sprinkles Jimmies 14oz | Value Size | Gluten Free Certified
Kraft Jet-Puffed Fun Mallows 10 Ounces (2 bags)
Wilton Flower Cookie Decorations, Mini
Wilton Candy Melts, Bright White, 12 oz.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 hot chocolate bomb
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 3mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 32gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is an estimate.