Warm up with this creamy peppermint hot chocolate recipe. This homemade hot cocoa recipe is easy to make and extra special, thanks to the peppermint candies added in for flavor.
My daughter had been asking me repeatedly to make hot chocolate for her. The only hot chocolate she had tasted was the packets of hot cocoa you can buy at the store with the teeny tiny marshmallows. To be honest, I kept putting off making her homemade hot chocolate because she never really finished her cop of hot cocoa and it felt a bit like a waste.
Well, I had purchased these crushed peppermint candies for a different recipe and decided to use them for this peppermint hot chocolate recipe. I am so glad I did! This homemade hot cocoa is so creamy and dreamy. The peppermint gives it that extra flavor that makes it feel extra special.
All three kids inhaled their peppermint hot chocolate. I even added some fun Christmas sprinkles on top (the same ones I used in this cookie recipe) and they absolutely loved it. You may have even caught our littlest Allison, enjoying her first cup of hot cocoa on Instagram stories. She was so cute and excited to drink out of a real porcelain mug.
I plan to make this peppermint hot chocolate recipe again on Christmas Eve when we open our special Christmas Eve box with the kids. I think it will be the perfect addition to a family movie night. We may also make it agin for New Years Eve. It is so good, I need to enjoy it as much as I can while the weather is cool.
Ingredients in this peppermint hot chocolate recipe
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup special dark hot cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Whipped cream for topping
Directions for making homemade peppermint hot chocolate
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water to a boil.
- Whisk in the special dark cocoa powder and granulated sugar.
- Let cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly mix in the milk.
- Continue to mix until milk heats up and begins to steam. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat.
- Set out four mugs. Place two tablespoons crushed peppermint candies in the bottom of each mug.
- Pour the hot cocoa over the crushed peppermint candies and let sit for 30 seconds and then mix it up.
- Pour the half and half into each cup of hot cocoa and mix again (this cools it down and makes the peppermint hot chocolate extra creamy.
- Top with whipped cream and additional crushed peppermint candies.
- Enjoy and then share this peppermint hot chocolate recipe with your friends!
Substitution for crushed peppermint candy pieces
If you cannot find the pre-crushed peppermint candy pieces in store, you can make your own. Unwrap a couple of classic candy canes. Place them in a zip top bag and roll over them with a rolling pin until they are broken into pea-sized pieces.
Amount Per Serving Calories 220