Strawberry Nutella Turnovers are an easy 3 ingredient dessert made with fresh strawberries, Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, and puff pastry.
I whipped these babies up on a whim one afternoon and I am so glad I finally experimented with making simple hand pies using frozen puff pastry. They come out so fluffy and buttery. The Nutella strawberry combination never gets old and it’s made even better inside of yummy pastry dough.
I love baking with fresh strawberries this time of year. Although you can totally bake with frozen strawberries, there is something about fresh slicing and tasting fresh strawberries that gets me excited about summer, warm weather, gardening, and jam making!
Working with frozen puff pastry dough
The trick to working with puff pastry dough is letting it sit out for a few minutes to soften and defrost. Once it is shapeable (after about 10 minutes), it is ready to be used. Remove it from the plastic wrap and separate the pieces. Cut the puff pastry into 18 equal squares.
Making strawberry Nutella turnovers
Spread the Nutella into the center of each puff pastry square. A little goes a long way, you will only need about 1 teaspoon for every turnover. Place your strawberries (just two slices each) on top of the chocolate hazelnut spread.
Fold over the puff pastry (hence the name “turnover”) and crimp the edges with a fork. If they puff pastry wants to separate at the edges, just wet it a bit with water on your fingers and it should stick.
If you want the outside of the turnovers to become a little extra golden and crisp, brush it with an egg wash (1 egg white + 1 tbsp water) before baking.
You may also like: Fudgy Nutella Brownies
- 1 box Frozen Puff Pastry
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 9 Strawberries, quartered
- egg wash (1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water), optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove puff pastry from box and let sit on the counter for 10 minutes, until bendable.
- Cut puff pastry into 18 equal squares. There will be guidelines on the puff pastry you can follow.
- Spread 1 teaspoon Nutella in the center of each puff pastry square.
- Arrange two slices of strawberry over each dollop of Nutella
- Fold pastry in half diagonally (to form a triangle) and crimp edges with the tines of a fork. If the edges don't want to stick together, press a little bit of water into the pastry to make it adhere.
- Transfer the turnovers to the lined cookie sheet.
- If using an egg wash, brush it on to the tops of the strawberry Nutella turnovers now.
- Bake 12-13 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Store any uneaten turnovers in an airtight container, up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104