Do you love creamy risotto but hate having to babysit it on the stove? This quick and easy recipe for instant pot mushroom risotto cooks in just 7 minutes. The best part? No babysitting!
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
Risotto in the Instant Pot
I was skeptical at first, but pressure cooker risotto really does come out as a creamy and wonderful as the stove top version.
Everyone will think you hand stirred it the whole time, slowly pouring in the chicken broth (which you can totally make in the instant pot, too), until it’s just the right consistency.
Be in the know! Join our Exclusive Instant Pot Facebook Group!
Customizing this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto Recipe
I love that this recipe is meatless and can be made vegetarian by just switching out the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
You can also play around with the vegetables you add to this instant pot risotto.
One reader has had success switching the mushrooms out for bell peppers, arugula, broccoli, and bok choy.
This is a really great base recipe you can build on as you get more comfortable making it.
Which won’t take long because it is seriously easy in the instant pot!
The crimini baby bella mushrooms make it hearty and it’s surprisingly kid-friendly.
It is just a giant bowl of creamy and delicious rice.
What’s not to like? You can also read about our first experience making risotto in this post.
Adding meat to Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
This recipe for instant pot mushroom and Parmesan risotto is so versatile.
If you do want to add chicken, just set your electric pressure cooker to saute and brown 1 inch pieces of chicken along with the onion, then add your additional ingredients.
Just make sure you do a really good job of scraping up any bits of food stuck to the bottom of your pot when you add in your broth.
That method is called deglazing. Not only does it add an amazing layer of flavor to your dish, but removing anything caked to the bottom of your pot is necessary for your instant pot to come to pressure.
When playing around with your risotto ingredients, the cook time and liquid stay the same.
Epicurious also has a great tutorial on customizing your risotto.
It’s a post on stove-top risotto, but the concept around adding extra ingredients to change the flavor or fit your lifestyle is the same.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces crimini baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine, may be substituted with additional chicken broth
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set instant pot electric pressure cooker to saute.
- Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Cook onion and garlic until onion is soft and translucent.
- Mix in rice and mushrooms. Turn instant pot off.
- Pour in chicken broth and white wine. Stir.
- Set instant pot to manual - 7 minutes.
- Quick pressure release.
- Mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 816
Related Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Apple BBQ Ribs
- Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup