Last week, I showed you a batch of breakfast burritos I made for my weekly freezer session. This was my first time freezing breakfast burritos. They were a big hit!
My plan for these burritos were for Sean to have a warm breakfast option at work. They worked well for him at work, but the kids discovered him eating one on a day off and decided they wanted in on the breakfast burrito action. And then they were gone. Just like that. I guess next time I will have to make a double batch.
I started by cooking the diced potatoes and onion in oil. I started them in a hot pan and turned them over a few times to start to crisp. Then, I covered them and cooked them on medium heat until they were nice and soft.
Once the potatoes were going, I added my ham in a separate, preheated pan. Once my ham was nice and crispy, I set it aside and poured my eggs, milk, and spinach into the same pan. I cooked the eggs over low heat until they turned into beautiful, golden nuggets. (Try our instant pot ham recipe)
Once everything was cooked, I assembled my breakfast burritos. I divided everything up into 12 tortillas and folded them like I would fold a box. Then, I wrapped each burrito in foil and divided them into 2 gallon sized freezer bags.
To reheat, remove the foil, wrap the burrito in a moistened paper towel and cook on high in the microwave for 90 seconds. For two burritos, cook them for 2 minutes, 30 seconds. Microwave oven cook times vary, so use your best judgment.
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 2 oz ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup frozen, chopped spinach
- 3 cups grated cheddar
- 12, 8 " tortillas
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a medium skillet and add the diced potatoes. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring the entire time. Cover and cook over medium heat until fork tender, about 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add the ham to the pan and cook (stirring occasionally) until the ham begins to crisp around the edges. This should take about 5 minutes, depending on how thick your ham is.
- Once the ham is cooked, set aside and add the eggs, milk, and spinach to the pan. Stir well and cook over low heat until the eggs are no longer slimy - about 15 minutes. Break up the frozen spinach with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Once all ingredients are cooked, spoon them into your tortillas, folding them into burritos as you go.
- Refrigerate for use within 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving Calories 225