Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one of my favorite soups of all time. I have been making it from scratch for a few years now and new I had to share it with you.
This soup is creamy, cheesy, and full of veggies – so it’s healthy, too! It takes about an hour to make, but most of it is hands off. Good soup is all about letting it simmer and deepen the flavors!
I use an immersion blender to puree the broccoli cheddar soup, but you can just as easily use a blender. Just make sure you let the soup cool down a little bit before pouring into your blender. We have shared a few other versions of this soup, too! Try our recipes for Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup and Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup + Bread Bowl Recipe.
Enjoy your soup!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 bunches broccoli, stems removed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese + more for topping, optional
- Saltine crackers, optional
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in the flour and whisk until a paste is formed and the flour is browned.
- Slowly stir in the milk, half and half, and chicken stock - whisking constantly.
- Continue to whisk until everything is combined and there are no clumps of flour.
- Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and cook until softened - about 3 minutes.
- Mix the cooked onion, broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the soup.
- Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for another 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender (if using a regular blender - work in batches and allow soup to cool slightly), puree the soup until smooth.
- Reheat the pot of soup and add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm topped with cheddar cheese or saltine crackers.
Amount Per Serving Calories 986
Soup Week Lineup:
- How to Make Soup From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Chicken and Dumplings
- How to Freeze Soup