As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hamburger soup is one of those things that I had heard of for a long time, but had never tried and wasn’t sure if I would like it. I thought it was a soup that tastes like a hamburger. When in all actuality, it is a soup with hamburger (ground beef) in it. Once I figured that out (duh!), I was much more interested in experimenting with hamburger soup.
Since it’s Soup Week here at Aileen Cooks, I thought it was the perfect time to share my hamburger soup recipe. This recipe feeds my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 very small children) dinner without leftovers. If your family is bigger or you want leftovers, then I recommend you double the recipe. If you do freeze it, this soup make wonderful leftovers and freezes well.
You may also like our recipe for Instant Pot Cheeseburger Tortellini Soup.
Other Favorite Recipes
- 1 medium russet potato
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 1 TSP Butter
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 ounces 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash the potato and poke it all over with a fork. Place on a plate and cook in the microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Once the potato is cool enough to touch, slice in half and scoop out the potato from the skin and place in a bowl with the milk and butter. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potato until no longer clumpy and the milk and butter are distributed. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef, onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stir and cook until the meat is almost browned.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to cook until the meat is completely browned.
- Pour in the beef broth, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Whisk in the tomato paste and mashed potato.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.