Whip up a batch of these healthy carrot muffins. They are tasty whole wheat carrot muffins are sweetened with a combination of applesauce and honey. Despite the healthier additions, these carrot muffins still come out light and fluffy.
My family loves fresh-baked muffins and I am regularly looking for ways to make them healthier while still tasting great. These carrot muffins are one of those recipes! We swapped out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and is sweetened with a combination of honey and applesauce.
Can muffins be healthy?
Yes, they can. Switching to whole grains and cutting back on process sugar is the best way to make muffins healthier. We do both of these in this healthy carrot muffins recipe.
Can you freeze carrot muffins?
Yes, carrot muffins are freezer friendly.
How to freeze muffins:
- After baking, let them fully cool.
- Place muffins in a zip-top freezer bag and suck out as much air as you can with a straw.
- Seal the bag well.
- Label and date the bag.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
- Defrost at room temperature (for about an hour) before eating.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, egg, honey, butter and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir well, then add the carrots. Combine fully before adding remaining flour mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners, and then portion 1/4 cup of batter into each liner.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the muffin pan for 2 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 26mgSodium 207mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 15gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is an estimate.