Instant pot crack chicken got its name because it is so good, you cannot just eat one serving! Come and see why this instant pot crack chicken recipe is our most popular Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Recipe.
Instant Pot Crack Chicken is a tasty and versatile instant pot chicken breast recipe made with frozen chicken breast, bacon, cream cheese, ranch seasoning, green onions, and sharp cheddar.
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
Why is it called Instant Pot crack chicken?
This recipe is called Instant Pot “crack chicken” because it’s hard not to eat it all in one sitting! You can serve it with crackers, rolls, or over salad. Yum!
How do you shred chicken breast?
This chicken comes out really tender, so I use two forks with the tines facing each other and pull them both away to shred the chicken. You can also shred chicken in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Just keep an eye on it because you can over-shred with a stand mixer and turn it into a gloppy mess.
Is there a lighter version of this recipe?
You can lighten up Instant Pot crack chicken recipe by using reduced-fat cream cheese and omit the bacon. Either way, it will still have a great flavor, thanks to the ranch seasoning. Also, if you love ranch, you may want to check out my recipe for Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders.
How long is crack chicken good for in the fridge?
Crack chicken will stay fresh in the fridge for 3 days. Any longer than that and you are at-risk for the chicken going bad and making you sick.
If you plan on eating leftovers past 3 days, I recommend freezing it in an air-tight freezer-friendly container. You can freezer the dish as a whole or in individual portions for easy “frozen dinners”.
Can I make instant pot crack chicken with defrosted chicken?
Yes. Simply cut your cook time down to 15 minutes on high pressure. Everything else stays the same in this instant pot crack chicken recipe.
I just love using frozen chicken because I don’t have to plan ahead and defrost. Either way, you will fall in love with this crack chicken recipe.
- 1/2 pound chopped bacon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ranch packet
- 2 pounds frozen chicken breast, approximately 3 large
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Set your pressure cooker to saute.
- Cook the chopped bacon and then remove and place a paper towel to drain fat.
- Pour chicken broth into the instant pot electric pressure cooker and deglaze the bottom of your pot. Make sure there are no bits of food stuck to the bottom of your pan or your pot may not come to pressure.
- Whisk in the ranch seasoning packet.
- Place the frozen chicken breasts in the pot and top with the cream cheese.
- Close lid and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual - high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release for 5 minutes and then remove the rest of the pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- While chicken is removed, whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch into the chicken broth mixture.
- Return chicken and bacon to the pot and mix until evenly coated with the sauce.
- Serve warm on crackers, rolls, or lettuce. Top with sharp cheddar and green onions.
Serve this without the rolls for a low carb/ keto version!
Amount Per Serving Calories 835
Other delicious Instant Pot Recipes:
Did you try this recipe for Instant Pot Crack Chicken? Let us know what you thought in the comments!