Make your own flavorful hummus at home with this easy instant pot hummus recipe!
Who knew it was so easy to make homemade hummus at home? I kid you not, it’s easy and comes out creamy and delicious!
I love, love, love my instant pot. Heck, I even wrote a cookbook with 175 instant pot recipes! Some of my other favorite ways to use my instant pot is to make Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans, Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice, and Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
Can I use canned chickpeas?
Yep! The longest part of this instant pot hummus recipe is the soaking of the dried chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). You will need to plan ahead and soak them the night before you plan to make hummus in your instant pot.
If you want to skip the soaking part, you can also swap out the dried chickpeas for the canned variety that are already soaked for you.
Do I have to peel chickpeas for hummus?
No, we don’t peel the chickpeas for this pressure cooker hummus recipe. Some people prefer pealing them before turning them into hummus but I don’t find it necessary.
What can you eat with hummus besides pita?
- Raw carrots, broccoli, or celery
- Pita Chips
- Turkey wraps
What can I add to hummus for flavor?
At the blending stage of making hummus, there are many choices to change up the flavor. Here are a few ideas!
- Red pepper paste
- Kalamata olives
- Black eyed peas
- Boiled Peanuts
- Sweet Potato
Make sure to Pin this to save it for later!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups water, divided
- 1 whole head garlic, skins removed and crushed
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup tahini
- Combine chickpeas, 1 tablespoon salt, and 4 cups water in a large container. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Drain the soaking liquid from the beans and rinse well.
- Add the chickpeas, crushed garlic, onion, bay leaves, and remianing 4 cups water to Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow pressure to naturally release before removing instant pot lid.
- Remove the onion and bay leaves from instant pot and discard.
- Drain the chickpeas over a bowl to retain the cooking liquid.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a food processor and add cumin, lemon juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Blend until smooth, adding the cooking liquid as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Stir the tahini into the hummus.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 288mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is an estimate.