As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make this better than take-out instant pot chicken fried rice any time the craving hits! This easy instant pot fried rice recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
Better Than Take-Out Chicken Fried Rice in the Instant Pot
I love Chinese take-out and chicken fried rice is one of my favorite things to order. It’s filling, flavorful, and full of yummy things like chicken, peas, and carrots.
As a family of five, it doesn’t always make financial sense to order take-out. Especially now that my kids are getting bigger and my son is eating as much as an adult, we try and make our favorite dishes at home as much as possible.
Another favorite take-out inspired recipe we like to make is instant pot chicken curry. It’s our go-to Thai take-out order and we were so glad to learn we could make it at home!
If you have never made fried rice before, let me tell you, it is extremely easy. It’s just a combination of scrambled eggs, chicken, cooked rice, veggies, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
What kind of rice is used to make fried rice?
Any medium to long grain rice will work for making your own fried rice at home. We used basmati rice in this recipe but jasmine rice will also work.
Can you fry raw rice?
No. You always want to use cooked rice before turning it into fried rice. You can cook the rice right before turning it into fried rice or use day-old leftover rice.
Can I make instant pot fried rice with frozen vegetables?
You sure can! We use frozen vegetables in this recipe. It saves me time because I don’t have to make time for chopping. Plus, frozen vegetables tend to be less expensive than fresh and it doesn’t matter much for this recipe.
What to serve with instant pot fried rice?
Serve this with one of our other favorite Chinese take-out copycat recipes!
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry
- The best way to cook frozen potstickers
- Instant Pot General Tso’s Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 3 large eggs whisked
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin bite size chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Press the saute button on the instant pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and eggs.
- Stir to scramble.
- Push the eggs to the side and add in the frozen peas and carrots.
- Saute, until thawed completely. 4 minutes.
- Remove egg pea mixture from instant pot and set aside. Make sure there aren't any leftover bits of egg stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Add the chicken and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Pour in the rice and stir.
- Close the lid, set the pressure release valve to sealing, and press the rice button.
- When the instant pot completes cooking, natural pressure release for 5 minutes.
- Quick release remaining pressure.
- Once pressure is released, open the lid.
- Stir in the egg and pea mixture, soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot chicken fried rice? Let us know what you thought with a rating (above) or comment (below). You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks and #aileencooks.