Whip up a batch of instant pot chicken stock in no-time with this quick and easy pressure cooker bone broth recipe. We love this frugal way to repurpose leftover chicken bones and turn it into something healthy and delicious!
Then you can turn it into a delicious instant pot soup recipe.
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
To make the chicken broth, you will need leftover chicken bones, a handful of vegetables, spices, and water. I used leftover rotisserie chicken for this tutorial, but you can also use up the bones from homemade chicken.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Check out this recipe for overnight chicken stock in the slow cooker!
Special equipment used to make instant pot chicken stock:
How to make chicken stock in the Instant Pot
Start by placing your bones and any unwanted meat in the bowl of your instant pot.
Top with veggies, water, and spices.
Cook on the soup setting for 30 minutes.
Natural pressure release.
Once your bone broth is ready, ladle it into a mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl.
Throw out the leftover bones and veggies, or reuse for another batch of instant pot chicken broth.
How to freeze Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Ladle the broth into mason jars using a wide mouth funnel.
- If you plan to freeze the instant pot chicken broth, leave at least 1 inch of head space to prevent cracking of the glass as the liquid expands.
- The instant pot chicken broth can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- It can be defrosted overnight in the refrigerator, or on defrost in the microwave.
Update on freezing instant pot chicken broth
After having too many cracked jars, I am sad to say I no longer use this method.
Instead, I pour the cooled instant pot chicken broth into freezer safe zip-top bags.
I get as much air out as possible and seal them.
I freeze them flat so they take up less space and defrost quickly.
Recipes to make with Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 20 Minute Pesto Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Instant pot chicken and dumplings
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Leftover bones and skin from 1 chicken carcas
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- Place chicken bones and skin in the bowl of your instant pot.
- Roughly chop all vegetables and place on top of the chicken bones.
- Add in bay leaf, salt, and water.
- Set instant pot to soup for 30 minutes.
- Natural pressure release.
- Strain liquid through a mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Ladle chicken stock into jars.
- Store bone broth in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 34Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 10mgSodium 561mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 1gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Tried this recipe for Quick & Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Stock? Let us know what you thought in the comments.