Hazelnut Snowball cookies, often times referred to as Mexican Wedding Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes are sweet, buttery, and melt in your mouth. The addition of hazelnut into these snowball cookies gives them an extra flavor you wont want to miss.
They are a simple and fun cookie to make – especially if you enlist the help of little ones to roll the cookies in the “snow”. Just know that they will taste test (probably several) cookies. I walked back into the kitchen to hear my son announce (with a mouth full of cookie) that he had already eaten five snowball cookies. Good thing they are small!
Yes, they are that good. How can you not love something coated in powdered sugar?
I use my food processor to make these cookies. If you don’t have a food processor, just chop the nuts up as finely as you can before mixing them into the dough. They will still turn out wonderfully.
I use a food processor to make these cookies. If you don't have access to a food processor, just finely chop the hazelnuts and mix everything else up by hand.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Special equipment: food processor
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until they are finely chopped.
- Pour the hazelnuts into a separate bowl and place 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar and the softened butter into the food processor.
- Turn the food processor ON and allow it to process until the sugar and butter have creamed together.
- Slowly add in the flour, chopped hazelnuts, and salt. Continue to process until everything is combined. You may need to scrape down the bowl once or twice.
- Take a teaspoon sized scoop of dough and squeeze in your hand so it sticks together. Roll the dough into a "snowball" shape and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat.
- The cookies may be placed close together - just not touching- as they will not rise during baking.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until just set and not browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes and roll them in the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving Calories 113