Make a batch of delicious sour cream chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight! This is an easy recipe featuring a sour cream white sauce and no canned soups. These white chicken enchiladas also freeze well so you can even make a double batch.
I have made quite a few different variations of chicken enchiladas over the years. I have made white chicken enchiladas with canned soup. I have made green chicken enchiladas by painstakingly picking the leaves off a whole bunch of cilantro (that was before kids, ahem).
The hunt for the best sour cream chicken enchiladas
With all of the chicken enchiladas I have made, none of them came out quite right. There was something that just seemed, off. Enter these easy sour cream chicken enchiladas. I used leftover shredded chicken and spent no more than 20 minutes of prep time on this family-friendly meal. The rest of the time, the chicken enchiladas are spent baking in the oven.
They get all gooey and cheesy and creamy. The sour cream sauce really makes the white chicken enchiladas the best batch I have ever tasted. They are so good. But don’t take my word for it. Make them yourself and then decide.
Other Mexican casserole recipes:
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas, medium soft taco size
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp flour, any variety
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounce can mild diced green chilies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded chicken and cheese.
- Scoop the chicken mixture into the center of the flour tortillas. Roll lengthwise and place seam-side down in your baking dish.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat on your stove.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the flour to form a rue. Continue whisking until it turns golden brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth and continue to mix.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until the white sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Slowly mix in the sour cream until fully combined.
- MIx in the mild green chilies.
- Pour over the prepared enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
To freeze: Prepare the sour cream chicken enchiladas up to the point of baking. Let cool then cover tightly with foil. Label and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or bake frozen with an additional 15-20 minutes of cook time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 765
Did you try this recipe for sour cream chicken enchiladas? Let us know what you thought below with a rating and comment. You can also tag us on with your creations on social media using @aileencooks.