Are you looking for a healthy casserole recipe? This chicken and black bean casserole is packed full of veggies, healthy black beans, and topped with cheese. It’s also on our list of main dish casserole recipes.
I love making casseroles for my family because everything cooks in the same pan and I don’t have to worry about make side dishes or anything else. We have shared many other casserole recipes, including Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole, Nacho Cheese Casserole (Freezer Friendly), Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups Recipe, and Taco Stuffed Shells (Freezer Friendly).
Healthy Black Bean Casserole
This is the perfect healthy casserole is made with black beans, brown rice, summer squash (you could also use butternut squash), chicken, tomatoes, and cheese. It’s kind of like a burrito bowl baked in the oven. It’s even better because the cheese gets all melty.
It’s slightly spicy and very filling. It makes great leftovers – hot or cold. This meal feeds my family twice. If your family is larger (or your kids are older), then this may be just the right amount of food.
How to make Chicken & Black Bean Casserole
I started with summer squash cut into half-moons.
Next, I added diced tomatoes and onions.
Then brown rice and black beans.
Followed by cheese, seasonings, and chicken.
Mix it all up until it’s nicely blended and spread it into a greased casserole. Pour on more cheese and bake until it’s melted perfection.
Can I freeze this black bean casserole?
Yes. This black bean casserole is freezer friendy. I like to double the recipe and freeze the extra for a busy night. Make sure you check out our tutorial on how to freeze casseroles.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cups chopped summer squash
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced & fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine rice, squash, onion, tomatoes, black beans, 1 cup cheddar, 1 cup Monterey jack, chicken, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the black bean casserole into a greased, 9x13 casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until the squash is tender and the cheese is melted.
Making this meal vegetarian: I have successfully converted this meal to vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth for vegetable broth, omitting the chicken, and adding a third can of black beans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 616Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 124mgSodium 694mgCarbohydrates 38gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 6gSugar 4gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 38g
Nutrition information is an estimate.