As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This cheesy baked spaghetti with sausage is a comforting casserole filled with mozzarella, Parmesan, and ricotta cheeses alongside tasty Italian sausage.
Baked spaghetti, sometimes called spaghetti pie is a cross between your traditional spaghetti dinner and lasagna. It’s the perfect comfort food – it’s warm, filling, and packed with flavor. Make sure you check out our whole list of main dish casserole recipes. Some of our favorites are spinach lasagna roll-ups, taco stuffed shells, and Italian sausage stuffed shells.
Does baked spaghetti with sausage make good leftovers?
Yes, this comforting pasta bake reheats well. Eating pasta leftovers is my absolute favorite. I love that this feeds our family well for dinner and feeds me an actual lunch the next day! Instead of my usual leftover PB&J from my kiddos.
Do I have to boil the pasta before making this pasta bake?
Yes, this recipe calls for already boiled spaghetti noodles.
Can I prepare baked spaghetti ahead of time?
Yes. This recipe can be prepared and refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking.
Is cheesy baked spaghetti with sausage freezer friendly?
Yes! This recipe is incredible freezer friendly! You can freeze it two different ways:
- Freeze it already baked: Once you bake this baked spaghetti recipe, let it fully cool. Wrap in two layers of foil, label, and freeze. This is a great way to freeze individual portions for homemade frozen dinners. To reheat individual portions, simply defrost in the microwave until thawed and then reheat for 2-2.5 minutes. To reheat a full portion from frozen, place in a 375 degree oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Freeze it unbaked: You can also freeze baked spaghetti before baking. This is my favorite method. I almost always make a double batch of casseroles and freeze the second one for a busy night. To defrost and reheat: defrost overnight in the fridge and bake as directed in the recipe. See also my post on how to freeze casseroles.
Three Cheese Baked Spaghetti
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more for salting pasta water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 32-ounce jar marinara
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 16-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions, in a pot of well salted water.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and italian sausage. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Fold the minced garlic into the sausage onion mixture and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour the marinara, salt and pepper into the skillet and bring to a boil. Stir well.
- Once the sauce is boiling, lower the heat and cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the sauce is finished simmering, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine your cooked pasta, eggs, milk, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Toss until the pasta is evenly coated.
- To assemble the casserole, spread 1/2 of the pasta on the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on top of the pasta and spread it as best you can (it does not have to be perfect) Spread half of the sauce on top of the ricotta and top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients and top the dish with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot and bubble.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for baked spaghetti with sausage? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.