Make this tasty and filling Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups Recipe tonight! It’s filled with creamy ricotta cheese and fresh spinach and topped with red sauce. This is one of our favorite main dish casserole recipes.
I love a good lasagna, but sometimes you just need to switch it up and make something a little bit different. This recipe for spinach lasagna roll-ups ended up being a big hit with my entire family. It’s an easy lasagna roll-ups recipe without meat.
Family-friendly spinach lasagna roll-ups recipe
For whatever reason, the roll-ups seem to really please kids and they are likely to eat it all. My 6-year-old even asked for seconds.
Now, even though it’s kid-friendly, it still has semi-refined tastes. It’s got that classic ricotta cheese flavor going on and it’s mixed with fresh baby spinach which adds another layer of flavor and texture. Plus, it’s healthy. So you’re basically eating healthy food, right? 😉
What is a lasagna roll-up?
A lasagna roll-up can be made with the same ingredients as traditional lasagna but the noodles are rolled instead of layered. They are less messy than lasagna because they do not fall apart as easily.
How to make lasagna roll-ups?
1. Cook lasagna noodles. Start by cooking the lasagna noodles and letting them cool slightly.
2. Add filling. Spread filling in an even layer on top of lasagna noodle, leaving 1/4 inch of space around edges.
3. Roll. Carefully roll up the filled lasagna noodles length-wise and arrange in a casserole dish.
4. Top with sauce. Once all noodles are rolled and placed in the casserole dish, top with sauce, cheese, and butter.
5. Bake. Bake in a 375-degree oven covered for 25 minutes and uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.
How to freeze lasagna roll-ups?
To make this into a freezer meal, prepare to the point of baking, but do not bake. Wrap up casserole dish with two layers of foil. Label and date the foil with a permanent marker. Freeze up to 3 months. To prepare from frozen, add an additional 20 minutes of baking time and continue to bake casserole until center is hot and bubbly. You can also read our tutorial on how to freeze casseroles.
What to serve with this spinach lasagna roll-ups recipe?
How do you reheat lasagna rolls?
The easiest way to reheat lasagna rolls is in the microwave for 60 seconds.
Make this tasty and filling Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups Recipe tonight! It's filled with creamy ricotta cheese and fresh spinach and topped with red sauce.
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 11x15 inch casserole dish. Spread 1/4 jar of pasta on bottom of casserole dish. Set aside.
- Boil lasagna noodles according to package directions. Remove noodles from water and lay out on a parchment lined cookie sheet to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together spinach, ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Spread 1/3 cup cheese mixture onto each lasagna noodle, leaving 1/4 inch space around edges of noodles.
- Roll up lasagna noodles length-wise and place the rolls seam-side down in prepared casserole dish. Continue with remaining noodles and filling.
- Pour remaining marinara sauce over lasagna rolls.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top of lasagna rolls and sauce.
- Top lasagna roll ups with cubed butter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Freezing instructions: Wrap unbaked casserole in two layers of foil. Write the label and date on the foil. Spinach lasagna roll-ups may be frozen up to 3 months. Defrost overnight and bake as instructed in recipe.
Baking from frozen: add an additional 20 minutes of baking time and continue to bake casserole until center is hot and bubbly. Start frozen casserole in a cold oven if using a glass casserole dish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 227 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 29mg Sodium 496mg Carbohydrates 23g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 12g