Walk away from that supermarket potato salad and whip up this one instead! This potato salad brings a velvety texture and smooth flavor. It’s not too strong – the perfect accompaniment to any barbecue flavor.
This potato salad is made with red potatoes and hard boiled eggs. Don’t be thrown off by the hard boiled eggs – the add a nice texture and extra element to a traditional potato salad. Many potato salads are made with russet potatoes, but I prefer the taste of red potatoes. Steaming them keeps them nice and firm, because no one wants a mushy potato salad.
You can make this salad up to a day in advance. It pairs nicely with BBQ meats (of course), but potato salad also makes a nice (untraditional) side dish during Thanksgiving. I actually have a family member who makes potato salad almost every year for Thanksgiving. It really is a nice way to change things up.
Here is your printable!
A classic red potato salad recipe made with hard-boiled eggs.
- 2 lbs. red potatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika, plus additional for garnish
- Wash and cut up the potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Place the potatoes into a pot of boiling water fitted with a steamer basket. Steam for 18-20 minutes, until fork tender. Cool.
- Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs and place in a medium bowl. Slice the green onions and add to the eggs. Once potatoes are cool, add to the bowl.
- For the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and spices. Pour over the potato mixture and mix gently until everything is evenly coated. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with additional paprika prior to serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 345
What do you like to pair with your potato salad?