Christmas puppy chow, also known as muddy buddies, reindeer chow, or muddy munch is a peanut butter chocolate treat that’s perfect as a festive snack for a holiday party. This easy no-bake Christmas snack is made extra cheery with the addition of peppermint flavor and red and green peanut butter M&Ms.
I love making holiday-themed treats for my kids. It’s so much fun to get them involved in the cooking and to watch the enjoyment on their faces! If you are looking for more Christmas-themed treats to make, try our Healthy Christmas Tree Fruit Platter, Grinch Christmas Cookies (our most popular cookie), and Egg Snowmen Snacks.
Tips for making Christmas Puppy Chow
Muddy buddies are made by melting peanut butter and chocolate together, and covering it in Chex cereal. Then, it is coated in powdered suga.r If you have never made puppy chow before, it is relatively easy but there are a few tricks to make it go smoothly.
First, you want to refrigerate the puppy chow before coating it in powdered sugar. This helps the peanut butter chocolate to cool a little bit so the sugar doesn’t melt right into it. You want the powdered sugar to sit on top to reduce the sickness of the chocolate coating.
Also, the best way to coat the puppy chow in powdered sugar is to toss it in a large bowl, using 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time. We have tried mixing and also shaking it in a ziplock bag but both of those methods don’t work quite as well as the tossing method. Just make sure you use a large enough bowl that the Christmas puppy chow doesn’t fall out as you are tossing.
How to make Christmas Puppy Chow?
- Start by melting equal parts peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Stir every 30 seconds, until smooth and shiny.
- Whisk in peppermint extract.
- Layer Chex cereal with the chocolate and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the peanut butter chocolate Chex with powdered sugar until evenly coated. Using a large bowl so you can toss it tends to work better than stirring.
- Refrigerate another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top and toss again.
- Mix in red and green peanut butter M&Ms and serve.
How long does Puppy Chow stay fresh?
Puppy chow stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Do you refrigerate puppy chow?
Yes. It is best to store Christmas puppy chow in the refrigerator as it keeps it more fresh and moist.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 cup red and green peanut butter M&Ms
- Place chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after every increment. It will be smooth and shiny when fully melted.
- Whisk in the peppermint extract.
- Place 2 cups Chex cereal in a large bowl.
- Pour 1/3 melted chocolate over cereal. Repeat with remaining cereal and chocoalte two more times.
- Mix until cereal is fully coated in the peanut butter chocoalte mixture.
- Refrigerate puppy chow for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup powdered sugar and toss to coat. Repeat two more times to use up a total of 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar and toss to coat again.
- Mix in M&Ms and serve.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 415Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 1mgSodium 252mgCarbohydrates 56gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 37gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for Christmas Puppy Chow? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment.