This creamy tomato basil soup recipe is better than any boxed or canned tomato basil soup variety you will ever make! It’s a rich and creamy tomato soup with just the right amount of kick!
We love making soup around here and have waxed poetic about our love for soup many times over the years. Some of our favorite soups are broccoli cheddar soup and easy pumpkin soup. If you have a pressure cooker than you may want to check out our instant pot tomato soup recipe and list of instant pot soup recipes.
How to make this creamy tomato basil soup recipe?
- Start by sautéing a chopped onion in some olive oil over medium heat. Cook it until they are nice and soft. The cooked onions adds a nice base flavor to the creamy tomato basil soup recipe.
- Mix in some minced garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds, just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Mix in the tomatoes, fresh basil, spices, and sugar. You can use dried basil if in a pinch, but it won’t have the same punch of flavor as fresh basil offers in this soup.
- Increase the temperature of the stove and bring the tomato basil soup to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- As soon as the soup starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium, until it’s just simmering.
- Cover the pot and let the creamy tomato soup simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the stove off and puree the creamy tomato basil soup using an immersion blender. You can also use a counter top blender, but will need to let the soup cool slightly first.
- After the soup is smooth, whisk in some heavy cream. You don’t want to skimp and use milk or you won’t get that creamy tomato soup you are looking for.
- Serve the creamy tomato basil soup recipe with one of the sides listed below.
How Long Will homemade tomato soup recipe last?
Homemade tomato soup will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Any longer than that and you will want to freeze it.
Can you freeze creamy tomato basil soup?
Yes. You can absolutely freeze creamy tomato basil soup. Make sure it is fully cooled before freezing and then freeze in a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Read our tutorial on how to freeze soup for more tips!
What goes with tomato basil soup?
- Corn and black bean quesadillas
- Parmesan & Garlic Crisps
- Turkey Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
- cheesy garlic bread
- Black Bean and Chicken Taco Salad
- Ham and Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
This creamy tomato basil soup is better than any boxed or canned variety you will ever make! It's rich and creamy with just the right amount of kick!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Heat a soup pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, sugar, and salt to pot. Mix.
- Bring tomato soup to a boil.
- Lower the temperature to medium-low.
- Cover the pot and let simmer, 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Mix in heavy cream and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 209 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 45mg Sodium 623mg Carbohydrates 9g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 2g
Did you try this creamy tomato basil soup recipe? Let us know what you thought with a rating or comment. You can also tag us in your recipes creations on social media using @aileencooks.