Have you had Swedish meatballs before? They are a tender meatball coated in a rich gravy. Making air fryer Swedish meatballs is incredibly easy and takes just 30 minutes from start to finish!
I love Swedish meatballs. Like many people, I first tried them at IKEA. I stop and get them every time I visit the store (which is not often) and have been wanting to recreate them at home.
Since I have been all about my air fryer lately, I figured I might as well try making them in the air fryer. I already knew meatballs turned out great in the air fryer (crispy on the outside without drying out). I was not disappointed, and you won’t be either!
Keep in mind that you will need to use the stove to make the sauce but you can do it while your meatballs are cooking in the air fryer. It’s an easy peasy recipe that your family is sure to love.
What makes Swedish meatballs different?
What is Swedish meatball sauce made of?
Swedish meatball sauce is essentially a gravy. To start, you may a roux of butter and flour. Then, you mix in beef broth, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Let it simmer until it thickens and then serve it over the Swedish meatballs. Scroll down for the full printable recipe!
More air fryer recipes:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, onion, milk, breadcrumbs, egg yolk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well.
- Roll meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs inside air fryer.
- Air fry for 6 minutes, turning half-way through.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high-heat.
- Melt butter in skillet and whisk in flour.
- Continue to mix until butter is fully disolved and a light beige roux forms.
- Slowly whisk in broth, sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Continue to cook, mixing constantly, until sauce is thickened. About 3 minutes.
- Place meatballs inside a (6-inch) cake pan.
- Pour sauce over cooked meatballs and carefully place cake pan inside air fryer.
- Air fry an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve with lingonberry sauce, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The "I Love My Air Fryer" Affordable Meals Recipe Book: From Meatloaf to Banana Bread, 175 Delicious Meals You Can Make for under $12 ("I Love My" Series)
COSORI Air Fryer Accessories XL, Set of 6 Fit all 5.3Qt, 5.8Qt, 6Qt Air Fryer
COSORI Air Fryer,Max XL 5.8 Quart,1700-Watt Electric Hot Air Fryers Oven & Oilless Cooker for Roasting,LED Digital Touchscreen with 11 Presets,Nonstick Basket,ETL Listed(100 Recipes)
D'arbo Lingonberries In Jars, 14.1 Ounces
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 593Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 245mgSodium 1419mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 37g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for air fryer Swedish meatballs? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment!