As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Crock Pot French Dip boasts amazing flavor and the most tender chuck roast. Made directly in the slow cooker, all of the ingredients marinate with one another, resulting in the tastiest sandwich, ever!
When it comes to sandwiches, I can never say no to a French dip… especially one that’s made in my Crock Pot! Crock Pot cooking is so convenient for busy folks: which is pretty much all of us! I love the idea of putting together my ingredients into one pot and letting my slow cooker do its thing.
If you’re loving the idea of this Crock Pot French Dip, then you’re in luck! I have tons of other creative Crock Pot recipes that I am sure you will adore. Be sure to check out my recipes for Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast, Crock Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip, Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, and Rosemary Crock Pot Bread.
What Is a French Dip Sandwich?
A traditional French Dip consists of slices of beef, sandwiched between two pieces of French rolls. It is served with a dip made up of the meat’s flavorful drippings.
What Is Chuck Roast?
If you scroll down to my recipe card, you’ll see that this recipe requires a piece of chuck roast. Chuck roasts are often referred to as a “blade roast,” and is a fatty cut of beef that’s ideal for Crock Pot cooking. It’s also generally inexpensive, making this sandwich a budget-friendly dish.
How Long Does This Slow Cooker French Dip Cook For?
The sandwich filling (ie.: the chuck roast and vegetables) cook in the Crock Pot for ten hours on low setting.
More Crock Pot Recipes
Is this Crock Pot French Dip inspiring you to use your Crock Pot some more? Don’t forget: slow cookers aren’t limited to soups and stews. I recently put together some tasty slow cooker desserts that I think you’ll really love. Take a look at them here:
Should You Brown Meat Before Slow Cooking?
Yes, it is always ideal to brown your meat before adding it to the slow cooker. This allows the meat to produce the richest flavors and boast the best color. Although it’s not 100% necessary, taking this step is beneficial to get the best taste out of your meat.
Can I Substitute the Avocado Oil?
Yes, you can use vegetable oil in place of the avocado oil.
What Can I Serve With a French Dip Sandwich?
Here are some side dish ideas for my Crock Pot French Dip:
- French fries
- A hearty soup
- Onion rings
How to Make a Crock Pot French Dip
Your mouth must be watering at this point! Okay, here it is: my family’s favorite recipe for Crock Pot French Dip. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Crock Pot French Dip
- 3 pound Chuck roast
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 14.5-ounce cans beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 French rolls
- 6 slices Swiss cheese halved
- Season both sides of chuck roast with 1/2 teaspoon
salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place a large skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Once oil is heated, add chuck roast to pan and cook until browned on one side, 3 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove roast from pan and place inside crockpot.
- Reduce heat on stove to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add sliced onions and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to pot of onions and cook, stirring continuously, until fragrant. About 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce over chuck roast. Arrange onions over chuck roast and pour beef broth over the roast and onions.
- Add bay leaf to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours.
- Remove meat and shred.
- Pour broth through mesh sieve and add one cup strained broth and shredded meat back to the crockpot. Stir. Reserve remaining broth for as jus.
- Heat oven to broil. Add buns to oven and toast, 1 minute. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Build sandwiches with meat and cheese on bun. Return French dip to oven to broil, 1 minute, until cheese is melted. Watch the oven carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve with au jus on side for dipping and enjoy!