Whip up a batch of these fluffy pancakes from scratch and never make another pancake recipe again! They are light and fluffy and taste great with maple syrup or whipped cream.
This is the go-to pancake recipe that I make almost every month. We have made lots of different versions of pancakes including whole grain pancakes, whole wheat pumpkin pancakes, and chocolate chip blender waffles. But I keep coming back to these fluffy pancakes from scratch because they are everyone’s favorite. I love that they are easy enough for a regular Sunday yet special enough for Christmas breakfast.
The secret to fluffy pancakes from scratch
The secret to making super fluffy pancakes is in the milk. We don’t use regular milk in this recipe, but a combination of milk and white vinegar. It turns it into buttermilk-like soured milk.
If you have buttermilk on hand, you can use it in place of the milk and vinegar mixture. Either way, you will be happy with these tasty and sweet fluffy pancakes from scratch.
Can pancakes be reheated?
Yes. Pancakes can be reheated in the microwave or in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes. If reheating from a frozen, place on a cookie sheet and reheat in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes. They are ready when they are warm in the center.
Can pancakes be frozen?
Yes. I like to double or triple the recipe and freeze the extras. Then, I can just pull them out as needed for easy breakfasts or skip cooking on a Sunday, while still making it special.
Check out this post if you want to learn how to freeze pancakes.
Can pancakes be eaten cold?
Yes. Pancakes can be eaten cold (or even frozen) as long as they were fully cooked before cooling.
Can I make pancake batter the night before?
Yes. If you want to save time in the morning, make your pancake batter the night before. Just cover the bowl with a lid (we love these mixing bowls that come with lids) and refrigerate. When ready to cook your pancakes, pull it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about 10 minutes before cooking.
The best tool for making pancakes
As mentioned above, when we make pancakes, we always make a really big batch. This would take an hour or more with a skillet on the stove. We always use our Black & Decker Griddle for making pancakes. It’s easy to clean and is a large cooking surface so we can cook 6 pancakes at once instead of 1 or 2.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar. Let sit 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix eggs into soured milk, whisking after each addition.
- Slowly whisk melted butter into milk. Mix until fully combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the wet mixture.
- Fold batter together until just combined. It should still be lumpy.
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees or a pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Spray griddle or pan with cooking spray.
- Take 1/4 cup scoops of batter and pour onto pan or griddle. If using a griddle, continue adding scoops of batter (1-inch apart) until surface is filled.
- Carefully flip pancakes once they are bubbling on the edges and the bottom is a golden brown.
- Cook until the other side turns golden brown.
- Place cooked pancakes on a plate covered with foil to keep warm.
- Continue cooking pancakes until batter is used up.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or whipped cream.
Optional add-ins: blueberries, chocolate chips, or sliced banana made be sprinkled on top of pancake batter once it is spread on the griddle. Follow the rest of the directions as listed in the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 485Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 133mgSodium 901mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 2gSugar 21gProtein 13g
Nutrition information is an estimate