This easy instant pot beef stroganoff tastes anything but simple! This comforting pasta dish has layers of flavor in the sauce and is served with slices of tasty steak and comforting egg noodles. You are going to want to come back for seconds!!!
I love beef stroganoff. I grew up eating it once a year on my sister’s birthday and the (luckily) married into a family who makes it from scratch for special occasions. My in-law’s beef stroganoff is AMAZING and I based this instant pot recipe off of their recipe.
The perfect weeknight 30 minute meal
Instant pot beef stroganoff is made with steak cut into thin strips and seared before cooking in a delicious sauce of beef broth, spices, and a little bit of wine. The egg noodles cook right on top and it cooks for – get this – just 4 minutes on high pressure!
After you pressure cook your stroganoff, simply mix in a good portion of sour cream and serve! It takes the classic stroganoff (that takes my extended family hours to prepare) to an easy weeknight meal! Bonus points: all three of my kids LOVED this meal!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff FAQ
What kind of meat is used for beef stroganoff?
We used sirloin steak for this recipe, but you can also use beef tenderloin or any other steak you have on hand.
Can I make stroganoff with hamburger meat?
If you are looking for a way to cut the costs on this recipe, you can use ground beef. I have a hamburger stroganoff recipe including in my cookbook, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Affordable Meals Recipe Book.
How do you thicken stroganoff sauce?
There are two methods I have successfully used to thicken a thing stroganoff sauce.
- My preferred method: Add more sour cream! The best way to thicken a thin sauce is adding more sour cream. If you have extra on hand, try that before adding a cornstarch slurry. Keep in mind that, either way, your sauce should continue to thicken a bit as it cools. So don’t fret too much if the sauce seems thin.
- Cornstarch slurry: After you cook your stroganoff, leave it in the instant pot. Whisk together a mixture of 1/4 cup cold water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Press the sauté button on your instant pot and bring the sauce to a boil. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and let it cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and the sauce should thicken.
What side dishes go with beef stroganoff?
Garlic bread! Try our recipe for cheesy garlic bread. It is so good!
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into (2-inch) strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (16-ounce) container sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles (uncooked)
- 2 cups sour cream
- Toss steak in flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Press the sauté button on instant pot and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add steak and onions.
- Cook, stirring often, until steak is just browned. About 4 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in beef broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot, making sure to scrape off any bits of food stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in mushrooms, tomato paste, wine, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix.
- Add noodles to the top. Do not stir.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 4 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick pressure release and remove lid.
- Mix noodles into sauce.
- Add sour cream and stir until evenly distributed.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 634Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 192mgSodium 1238mgCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 4gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 46g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for Instant pot beef stroganoff? Let us know what you thought with a rating and review (star ratings, above). You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks and #aileencooks.