This creamy instant pot tomato soup is so easy to make from scratch in the instant pot! We love the combination of tomatoes, fresh basil, and garlic. A splash of cream at the end makes it perfectly thick and creamy.
This recipe was featured in my cookbook, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Affordable Meals Recipe Book. The cookbook has an entire chapter dedicated to instant pot soups. Don’t have an instant pot? Try our stove-top recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup.
If you are looking for more instant pot soup recipes, try: Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings, or Pressure Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup with Basil
The ingredient that makes this soup taste so amazing is the fresh basil. It adds an amazing layer of flavor that you just aren’t going to get with canned soup. This soup has even been known to turn tomato soup haters into tomato soup lovers.
Can I use dried basil?
If you are in a pinch and don’t have fresh basil on hand, you can substitute the fresh basil for 2 tablespoons dried basil. However, it won’t have the same punch of basil flavor. It will still have the same overall flavor palate but you can tell the difference when not using fresh basil.
Can I make this instant pot tomato soup vegan?
Yes! This recipe for pressure cooker tomato soup is already vegetarian. If you want to make it vegan, simply switch out the heavy cream for coconut milk. It will still have that creamy texture you crave.
How to make instant pot tomato soup?
This recipe is so easy! Here is how you make it:
- Start by sautéing a chopped onion in olive oil. (You can do this in your instant pot by pressing the “sauté” button.)
- Once the onions are soft, mix in some garlic, until fragrant.
- Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth and scrape up any bits of food stuck to the bottom of the instant pot.
- Mix in 4 cans diced tomatoes and a bunch of chopped fresh basil. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Quick pressure release.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender or with a tabletop blender.
- Whisk in 1 cup of heavy cream.
What to serve with instant pot tomato basil soup?
We love serving this soup with grilled cheese. It’s my all-time favorite go-to soup and sandwich combination. Here are a couple of other pairing options:
- Serve the soup inside Italian Bread Bowls
- Black Bean and Chicken Taco Salad
- Turkey Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
- Easy Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Set instant pot to saute. Add oil and onion. Cook, stirring frequenetly until onion is soft. About 2 minutes.
- Mix in minced garlic, and stir again. Cook until fragarant, 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth and deglaze bottom of the instant pot.
- Mix in tomatoes, basil, sugar, and salt.
- Close lid and set pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press manual or pressure cook button and set to 7 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and remove lid.
- Blend soup until smooth, using an immersion blender.
- Whisk in heavy cream and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 314Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 67mgSodium 934mgCarbohydrates 14gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 11gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this instant pot tomato soup recipe? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.