You need this meatloaf recipe in your life! Sweet and spicy meatloaf is made with ground beef, Italian sausage, and sauteed vegetables. It’s a hearty comfort food dish that makes great leftovers and freezes well.
This sweet and spicy meatloaf is a meal I have been making for my family for some time now. In fact, my first post on Aileen Cooks shows my kids eating this meatloaf.
Extra Special Meatloaf, thanks to our not-so-secret ingredient
This dish takes meatloaf to another level with the addition of Italian sausage. I’ve played around with the flavor combination a lot and finally settled on ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, and red pepper flakes. If you like meatloaf, than you will probably also love our easy cheeseburger sliders!
The best way to sneak vegetables into meatloaf
This meatloaf recipe is packed full of veggies, making it a smart choice for kids who aren’t too keen on eating anything green on their plates. Since the carrots, onions, and bell peppers are sauteed before being mixed into the meatloaf, they blend in really well. You can still see them, but the vegetables come out are sweet and tender.
What to serve with meatloaf?
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Zesty Potatoes
- Instant Pot Carrots with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Instant pot baked potatoes
- Keto Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (Low Carb)
- Instant pot baked potatoes
- Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
This meatloaf recipe is made with both ground beef and Italian sausage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup + 1/4 cup for topping
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion, carrots, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Mix in the 1/3 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, crushed red pepper, salt, and dried parsley. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, and cooked vegetables.
- With clean hands, knead the meat-vegetable mixture until it is fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Bake meatloaf for 1 hour.
- Remove sweet and spicy meatloaf from the oven and drain fat. Let sit for 10 minutes prior to slicing.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 455 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 152mg Sodium 924mg Carbohydrates 17g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 37g
Did you try this recipe for Sweet and Spicy Meatloaf? Please consider leaving a rating and comment. You can also tag us on social media using @aileencooks.