This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe is a family favorite for sick days or anytime it’s cold outside. You will love this instant pot soup recipe because it cooks quickly, tastes great, and is freezer friendly!
Chicken noodle soup is the first soup I learned to make. Back when I was a technical recruiter in San Francisco.
This was before kids and before I really knew how to cook much more than the blue box mac ‘n cheese. A coworker shared that she regularly made her own chicken stock from a whole chicken and then turned it into chicken noodle soup.
Our instant pot chicken noodle soup fail
I was so shocked at the time that she had taken so much time to do that but was also intrigued and wanted to try it myself. So I went to the store, bought a rotisserie chicken, ate some of the meat, and threw the rest in a pot of water.
I added some noodles and veggies and let it boil away for an hour or so. And then I tried to fish out the bones. Total fail.
I thought I could save time by making it all at once. That’s when I learned that some things are worth the wait. Making your own broth is not only money saving, but it makes soups taste amazing.
Our favorite way to make chicken stock for soup
I’ve learned now to make a big batch and freeze the extras. My slow cooker is especially good for this because I can set it to cook the chicken stock while I’m sleeping.
Then I can use that same stock to make chicken noodle soup for dinner the next day. We have shared a couple of recipes for chicken noodle soup over the years. There is this recipe for slow cooker chicken noodle soup and this recipe for stovetop chicken noodle soup that is great for little helpers. If you are looking for a heartier chicken soup, try instant pot chicken and dumplings.
Making this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
But of course, I am all about instant pot soup recipes these days, so making an instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe has been on my list for a while. I made it when my daughter got sick with the flu. She was so sick that I couldn’t actually get her to eat it so I put it in the freezer for another night. Here is a tutorial for freezing soup if you are interested.
I defrosted the instant pot chicken noodle soup overnight in the fridge and then heated it up in our microwave. Even though the noodles were a little more done than usual, everyone loved it. It was especially perfect because spring baseball season is upon us and there is a limited time in the evenings to make dinners. My son asked me to make it again almost every day this week.
He keeps telling me how good it was and that he wants to eat it all the time. I think he is my biggest fan. 😉
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with frozen chicken breasts
This is another one of those instant pot chicken breast recipes that use frozen chicken. I buy a big bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts from Costco and pull them out as needed for most of my instant pot chicken recipe. It saves a lot of time and eliminates the need for me to plan ahead.
If you are making this instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe with fresh chicken, you can cut the cooking time down to 15 minutes. Another great instant pot chicken recipe is Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetables.
This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe is a family favorite for sick days or anytime it's cold outside. You will love it because it cooks quickly, tastes great, and is freezer friendly!
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- Combine chicken stock, chicken, carrots, celery, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, oregano, parsley, and bay leaf in Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set pressure release to sealing.
- Press manual or pressure cook button and set to 30 minutes.
- Quick Release Pressure and remove lid.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return chicken to pot.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Press sauté button and bring chicken noodle soup to a boil.
- Pour in pasta and let boil 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Cut the cook time down to 15 minutes if using fresh or thawed chicken breast.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
- SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
- Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8-QT, Stainless Steel/Black
Amount Per Serving Calories 227 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 41mg Sodium 928mg Carbohydrates 24g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Protein 21g
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
This instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe is our new favorite. We hope you love it as much as we did!