Warm up with a bowl of this creamy and delicious instant pot butternut squash soup! We teach you how to make this healthy soup with fresh butternut squash.
I love, love, love making soup. It’s one of the first things I learned how to make from scratch and it is THE first type of recipe I learned how to develop. Soup is so forgiving and there are so many ways customize it that you will never get bored.
Homemade Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Today, I am sharing a recipe for homemade butternut squash soup. And I’m showing you how to make it in my favorite soup-making tool. The instant pot. Really, any electric pressure cooker will do. They are amazing for making flavor packed soup in very little time!
We use a slightly different method than other instant pot butternut squash soup recipes out there. We use cooked butternut squash in this recipe. This allows the squash to already be soft when going into the soup and makes it very easy to peel. Here is how to make instant pot butternut squash for this recipe. It takes just a few minutes.
Other soups we have made (and loved) in the instant pot are Instant Pot White Chicken Chili, Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup, Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana, Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings, and Pressure Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup. I also have an entire chapter dedicated to soup in my instant pot cookbook.
Instant pot butternut squash soup FAQs
Can you freeze butternut squash soup?
Yes! This soup is very freezer friendly. We recommend freezing it in serving-sized containers so you can pull them out for an easy (and tasty) lunch. If you are new to freezing soup, read our post on how to freeze soup.
What is a good garnish for butternut squash soup?
There are a few good options. A creamy garnish is always a good idea with butternut squash soup. We love butternut squash soup with a little bit of coconut milk mixed in. You can add a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt. You can also sprinkle it with fresh herbs like sage or rosemary.
What goes well with butternut squash soup?
The beauty of this soup is it really goes well with anything. You can it by it’s as a light dinner or lunch. You can also pair it with salad, pasta, or sandwiches. Here are a few ideas:
- Italian Bread Bowls
- Fettuccini Alfredo
- Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
- Crusty French Bread
- Fresh Green Salad
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (5-pound) butternut squash, cooked, peeled, and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: Coconut milk for garnish
- Press saute button on instant pot and add coconut oil.
- Mix in the onion and apple. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft. About 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and mix until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Add the butternut squash, nutmeg, paprkia, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 10 minutes.
- Quick pressure release.
- Remove the lid and turn the insant pot off.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or countertop blender.
- Serve the soup, topped with coconut milk, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8-QT, Stainless Steel/Black
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 5mgSodium 295mgCarbohydrates 58gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 14gSugar 18gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot butternut squash soup? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.