These Apple Cinnamon Rolls are dangerous. I’m just preparing you – if you make them, you will consume them. And I mean all of them. I ate one and found myself fantasizing about having another within an hour. They are so warm and sweet. The apples are subtle – not overpowering. You might want to line up a bake sale drop-off or a get-together at your house so you can share. Or don’t. I won’t judge.
I frosted these with cream cheese frosting. The standard glaze is good, but cream cheese frosting is my favorite. If I have a choice, I am always going to pick cream cheese frosting. Just remember to swipe your finger around the edge of the bowl and “taste-test” the cream cheese frosting at least three times before the cinnamon buns are ready to be frosted. You want to make sure it is perfect. 😉
I made the apple cinnamon roll dough in my bread machine. But, if you don’t have a bread machine – you can still make them. I have included alternate directions in here for you.
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp warm milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten), plus 2 egg yolks
- 3 TBSP oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP rapid rise yeast
- 3 medium gala apples
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine the roll ingredients in your bread machine in the order required for your machine. My bread machine requires: liquid ingredients – dry ingredients – yeast. Bread machines vary, so make sure you read the directions if you aren’t super experienced with your bread machine. Set it to the dough cycle and walk away. (This is why I love my bread machine)
- If making the dough by hand: Combine the warm milk, egg, oil, sugar, salt, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl. Gradually mix in the flour until a soft dough forms. Knead in your stand mixer for 2-3 minutes or by hand for 6-7 minutes. Grease a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning once so it is covered in oil. Cover with a clean towel and place in a warm place. Allow the dough to rise for approximately 1 hour – until double in size.
- Meanwhile, peal, core, and chop your apples. Place them in a medium bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Next, mix in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once your dough is ready, roll it out on a floured surface into a large rectangle. Add additional flour as needed if the dough is too sticky to roll. Brush the rectangle with the melted butter and sprinkle the apple mixture evenly over the rectangle. Roll it up length-wise and cut into 14 pieces. Arrange the pieces in 2, 9 inch cake pans or spring form pans.
- At this point, you can refrigerate the rolls overnight or bake immediately. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Frost immediately.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- To freeze: Cool completely and cover the pan with 2-3 layers of tin foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Warm individual apple cinnamon rolls in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Source: Adapted from Money Saving Mom