Perfectly juicy air fryer chicken strips with a crunchy and flavor packed pretzel coating! We love, love, love cooking chicken tenders in our air fryer and this recipe for pretzel crusted chicken strips has been added to the top of our list!
How to make air fryer chicken strips with pretzel coating?
The pretzel coating for these chicken strips is really easy to make!
- Start by turning 2 cups of pretzels into crumbs using a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you an also turn them to crumbs by putting the pretzels in a ziplock bag and rolling them with a rolling pin until they turn into a small crumb.
- Mix the pretzels up with Panko breadcrumbs (they make the crispiest coating) and a handful of seasonings (garlic salt, smoked paprika, and Cajun seasoning).
- Dip chicken tenders (make sure you pat them dry) in a bowl of whisked eggs. Shake the chicken so the extra egg drips off.
- Dip the egg coated chicken in the pretzel mixture.
- Air fry for 14 minutes at 370 degrees, until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (we recommend a simple meat thermometer for this).
How long do pretzel coated chicken strips stay fresh?
Cooked chicken stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
What to serve with pretzel coated air fryer chicken strips?
- 2 cups pretzels
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place pretzels in the bowl of a food processor. Process until pretzels are the consistency of breadcrumbs. (See note below if you don't have a food processor)
- Combine pretzel crumbs, Panko breadcrumbs, garlic salt, paprika, and Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk.
- Pat chicken tenders dry.
- Dip a chicken tender into the egg and shake any extra egg off.
- Dredge egg-dipped chicken tender into pretzel coating.
- Place coated chicken tender on prepared cookie sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spray air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
- Working in batches, arrange chicken tenders in the air fryer basket or tray so they are not crowded.
- Air fry chicken strips for 14 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you don't have a food processor: place pretzels in a gallon sized zip-top bag. Crush with a rolling pin until they are a small crumb.
To keep chicken warm while working in batches, place the air fried chicken strips on cookie sheet in an oven set to "keep warm" or 200°F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 chicken strips
Amount Per Serving Calories 487Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 198mgSodium 1197mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 43g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for air fryer chicken strips? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment!