Say hello to your new favorite Thanksgiving side dish! This instant pot sweet potato casserole is insanely easy to make and tastes so good thanks to the creamy sweet potatoes, sweet orange juice, and toasted marshmallows.
Sweet potato casserole is hands-down one of my very favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. It isn’t even a dish we made growing up but one year we spent Thanksgiving at a relatives house and I fell in love with this sweet potato dish that’s topped with toasted mini marshmallows. What’s not to love about this half side dish – half dessert? (This post contains affiliate links.)
Our favorite part about instant pot sweet potato casserole
The last step in this recipe is to toast the mini marshmallows under the broiler for a couple of minutes. This step can be held off until right before you serve Thanksgiving dinner, or you can even skip it altogether if needed.
If you have a choice though, make the time to toast the marshmallows if you can. It really adds an extra layer of flavor and texture that makes this sweet thanksgiving side a family favorite.
Which pan to use?
Most of my instant pot recipes (that require a pan) call for a 7-inch push pan. Unfortunately, the push pan doesn’t really work here. The liquid from the sweet potatoes will leak out everywhere if using a push pan or springform pan. I highly recommend using a regular 7-inch cake pan.
If you don’t want to buy another accessory for your instant pot and really want to make your cheesecake pan work, you can wrap a couple of layers of aluminum foil around the bottom of the pan. Just keep in mind that some of the liquid will leak out into the foil. You will want to remove it carefully, ideally above the sink so you can drain the foil before tossing it in the trash.
Ingredients in instant pot sweet potato casserole
You are just 6 ingredients away from whipping up this yummy sweet potato casserole recipe!
- Canned sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
- orange juice
- mini marshmallows
Other delicious recipes for Thanksgiving:
- 30-minute dinner rolls
- Creamy fruit salad
- Nutella Strawberry Turnovers
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 15 ounce cans Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Pour 1 cup water into the inner pot of your instant pot. Place a trivet inside of the inner pot.
- Drain sweet potatoes.
- Place sweet potatoes, brown sugar, melted butter, orange juice, and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into a 7-inch cake pan.
- Top with 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows.
- Cover cake pan with a dry paper towel and a piece of foil. Secure foil over the pan so the paper towel does not slip.
- Create a foil sling with another piece of foil.
- Carefully lower the covered cake pan into the instant pot and fold the ends of the foil sling over the cake pan.
- Close the lid and set to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Quick Pressure Release (QPR).
- Carefully remove the cake pan using the foil sling. Remove the foil and paper towel.
- Arrange the remaining 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows over the top of the instant pot sweet potato casserole.
- Set your oven to broiling and broil the casserole for 2-3 minutes, just until the marshmallows begin to brown. Watch carefully to ensure the marshmallows do not burn.
- Refrigerate any uneaten portions.
Special equipment used: Instant Pot DUO 6 quart, foil, paper towels, and a 7-inch cake pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379
Just when I thought I couldn’t love sweet potato casserole anymore, this instant pot sweet potato casserole came and stole my heart. I hope you enjoy it!