Make ahead baked oatmeal with apples is sweet, filling, and taste delicious served with warm milk. Baked oatmeal is my favorite way to eat oatmeal. It makes it feel extra fancy more like a full meal.
We love filling breakfast recipes that can be made ahead of time. Check out our recipes forAmish-Style Nectarine Baked Oatmeal, Freezer Friendly Ham and Cheese Breakfast Burritos, Freezer Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches, Make Ahead Scrambled Eggs, and Bread Machine Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Baked Oatmeal with Apples
Depending on your family size, this recipe will provide 2-3 breakfasts for your kids. Baked oatmeal with apples is a stick to your ribs kind of meal that will keep your kids full until lunch time. Serve this baked oatmeal topped with milk to make it extra filling and nutritious. Milk adds potassium, vitamin D, calcium, and high-quality protein.
Which oats are best for baking?
Regular rolled oats are best for baking. We reccomend them for baked oatmeal over quick oats and steel-cut oats.
Can quick oats replace old fashioned oats in baking?
No. Quick oats are very thin and won’t hold up in the baking process. Rolled oats are the oats that work best in baked goods and baked oatmeal.
Can you freeze baked oatmeal?
Make Ahead Baked Oatmeal with apples is make ahead in two ways. It can be prepared in the casserole dish the night before and baked in the morning. It can also be wrapped in foil and frozen up to 3 months. When freezing, it can be frozen after baking, but needs to be cooled first. It can also be prepared, not baked, and frozen. Then, reheat as directed in the recipe, but add 15 minutes of cook time.
Just remember to label it or you might end up with a mystery meal in your freezer. If you are obsessed with freezer cooking as much as me, then you will want to check out this list of freezer friendly recipes. I like to double or even triple this recipe when I make it so the extras can go directly in the freezer.
How do you reheat baked oatmeal?
We reheat ours in individual bowls in the micrwave for 45-60 seconds and then pour milk over the baked oatmeal. You can also reheat the baked oatmeal in a sauce pan with a little bit of milk. Heat it on medium heat until warmed throughout.
You may also like: Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 granny smith apples - peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- Warm Milk for Serving
- If baking right away, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- This recipe may be prepared the night before, refrigerated, and baked in the morning. It reheats well as leftovers. It can also be frozen (before baking) for up to 3 months. Defrost and bake as directed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup prepared
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 109mgSodium 714mgCarbohydrates 68gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 6gSugar 33gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 11g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for baked oatmal with apples? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us on social media using @aileencooks.