Freezer Friendly Beef and Cheese Burritos
I discovered a recipe for freezer friendly burritos called brown bag burritos a few years ago and they have become a staple in our freezer. The recipe I’m sharing today is my tweaked version after making and perfecting the flavor for our tastes over the last couple of years.
These beef and cheese burritos are slightly spicy and very cheesy. They always remind me of the Chili Cheese Burritos that Taco Bell used to sell – do you remember those burritos? They were so good! Anyway, these burritos are a little bit like that. They are filling and satisfying and reheat in the microwave in just 2 minutes.
What’s amazing about this recipe is that it makes 20 burritos. That’s 20 lunches you don’t have to worry about it and it doesn’t take much more time since you are cooking all of the filling at once.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning or 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 2 cans refried beans
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 20 burrito sized flour tortillas
- In a large skillet, brown the onion and ground beef.
- Once the meat is browned, drain the fat.
- Return the meat to the heat and sprinkle the taco seasoning over the beef and stir until it is evenly coated.
- Mix in the enchilada sauce and refried beans. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup burrito filling and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Fold into a burrito and continue with the remainder of the burrito filling, tortillas, and cheese.
- Wrap each burrito in foil and store in gallon sized freezer bags in your freezer.
- To reheat, remove foil and wrap in a moist paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 minutes (Microwave times vary).
Amount Per Serving Calories 245
Source: Adapted from Money Saving Mom
What do you like to make for quick and easy lunches?