This decadent baked white cheddar mac and cheese is the perfect grown-up macaroni and cheese. It’s loaded with white cheddar, gruyere, and cream cheese and baked to perfection.
I LOVE a good macaroni and cheese. I have made it on the stove top, in my instant pot and in my crockpot. But baked mac and cheese is my favorite. I love the way the creamy sauce soaks into the noodles and it gets just a little crunchy on top.
If you are looking for other tasty casseroles, try our recipes for Turkey Noodle Casserole, Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole, Chicken and Black Bean Casserole, and Italian Sausage Stuffed Shells.
This baked white cheddar mac and cheese is extra special because the cheese sauce is made with a combination of white cheddar, gruyere, cream cheese, and sour cream. It’s the perfect flavor combination for an adult palette.
Baked mac and cheese makes a great comfort-filled dinner or a crowd-pleasing side dish at a pot luck or holiday dinner. Either way, you are going to be glad you made this white cheddar macaroni and cheese recipe.
Can I freeze Baked White Cheddar Mac and Cheese?
Yes! Baked mac and cheese is extremely freezer friendly. It’s one of the recipes I always made in preparation for a new baby (my nesting was stocking my freezer). You can freeze it a couple of ways.
- If you are making this recipe as a freezer meal (or doubling so you have one for the freezer), freeze it without baking. Follow the recipe to the point of baking it but instead, wrap it in two layers of foil, label, date, and freeze up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and bake it as directed the next day.
- If you want to freeze leftovers after baking, you can freeze the remainder of the casserole all together or divided up into individual servings. Make sure the mac and cheese is fully cooled and then freeze in air-tight containers up to 3 months. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
You may also want to read my post on how to freeze casseroles for more detailed instructions.
Can I use regular cheddar cheese?
Yes. White cheddar is basically just cheddar cheese with out the natural orange coloring (annatto) added into many cheeses on the market. If you only have orange cheddar on hand, it will totally work in this recipe and still taste amazing.
How to Make Baked White Cheddar Mac and Cheese?
- Whisk together melted butter and flour in a large sauce pan.
- Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil. Make sure to whisk it constantly to it does not scorch. Mix in the seasonings at this time, too.
- Wait for the sauce to thicken. You will know it’s ready when it coats the back of your spoon.
- Fold in the cheeses and mix until melted and gooey.
- Remove from heat and fold in cooked pasta.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a greased casserole dish (9 x 13 works best).
- Top with more white cheddar to give it that chewy texture on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is bubbling along the edges of the casserole.
What to serve with baked white cheddar mac and cheese?
- Triple Berry Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Instant Pot Ham
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
- Kid Friendly Roasted Cauliflower
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe
This decadent baked white cheddar mac and cheese is the perfect grown-up macaroni and cheese. It's loaded with white cheddar, gruyere, and cream cheese and baked to perfection. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition information is an estimate.
Serving Size 1/8 casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 283Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 62mgSodium 534mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 12g
This decadent baked white cheddar mac and cheese is the perfect grown-up macaroni and cheese. It's loaded with white cheddar, gruyere, and cream cheese and baked to perfection.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this baked white cheddar mac and cheese recipe? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.