Are you looking for an easy chicken and potato casserole recipe? This main dish casserole recipe is for you! It’s made with a creamy ranch sauce and topped with gooey cheese.
I love making this easy cheesy ranch chicken and potato casserole because it’s a complete meal in one dish. It’s packed with red potatoes, green beans, and chicken. Plus cheese. Lots of cheese. I love how the cheesy gets all melty and even a little crispy on top. You may also like our recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes or Baked Chicken Caprese.
Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole with Bechamel Sauce
This simple chicken and potato casserole is not made with cream of mushroom soup. Instead, it is made with a homemade bechamel sauce. If you have never made bechamel sauce before, don’t worry.
It’s very easy and made with a few simple ingredients: butter, flour, and heavy cream. I explain all the details of how to make the bechamel sauce for the cheesy ranch chicken and potato casserole in the recipe below.
Chicken and Potato Casserole with Ranch
Ranch makes everything better. So we mixed ranch dressing seasoning into the bechamel sauce. It adds an extra layer of flavor that makes this main dish casserole extra special. If you want other ranch recipes, try our Ranch Deviled Eggs recipe and our Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders recipe.
How to freeze Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole
This casserole is incredibly easy to freeze. Prepare the recipe to the point of baking. Let it fully cool and then wrap in two layers of foil. Make sure to label and date the foil. Then freeze up to 3 months. I like to make a double batch so I have one for the freezer. You can also read my post on how to freeze casseroles.
It’s best to defrost overnight in the fridge and bake as directed (adding a few minutes of bake time in the end, if needed). If you are in a pinch, you can take it directly from freezer to oven. You will need to add 30-45 minutes of additional bake time and check it every 15 minutes after the initial bake time.
You may also like: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Are you looking for an easy chicken and potato casserole recipe? This main dish casserole recipe is for you! It's made with a creamy ranch sauce and topped with gooey cheese.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ranch seasoning packet
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 pound green beans, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9X13 inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in the flour.
- Continue to mix until completely combined and sauce is a pale yellow color, approximately 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in heavy cream.
- Let cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Until sauce is thickened.
- Mix in ranch seasoning and remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Arrange potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Top with green beans in an even layer.
- Add the chicken and season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Pour cream sauce over chicken and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until casserole is hot and bubbly and cheese is golden brown.
Casserole may be frozen prior to baking. Let cool and cover with 2 layers of foil. Label and date. Freeze up to 3 months. Defrost in fridge over night and bake as directed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/8 of casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 588Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 153mgSodium 948mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 36g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
My family loved this cheesy ranch chicken and potato casserole. We hope yours does, too!