Warm up with a batch of this filling and satisfying instant pot chicken vegetable soup. It’s packed full of tasty vegetables that are cooked to perfection in the instant pot! Make sure to check out our full list of instant pot soup recipes, too!
I love a good soup and am so glad it’s finally cooled down enough to make soup at least once a week! We have shared many soups over the years, including: instant pot tomato soup, Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup, pressure cooker vegetable beef soup, instant pot chicken and dumplings, Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup, Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, and Loaded Instant Pot Potato Soup.
How to make instant pot chicken vegetable soup
- Start by sauting onion and garlic in the instant pot. (little helpers are good for this)
- Pour in 2 cartons (or 8 cups homemade) chicken broth into the pot and deglaze the bottom.
- Add in the chicken and vegetables and give it a quick stir.
- Whisk in some tomato paste at the end before cooking. You don’t want to skip this part – it makes the broth extra rich!
- Pressure cook the chicken vegetable soup for 7 minutes and nautural pressure release.
- That’s it. Easy peasy. You will spend a few minutes chopping vegetables, but then it pretty much cooks itself.
What vegetables go in chicken vegetable soup?
This recipe calls for onion, celery, carrot, garlic, green beans, peas, kale, and green chilies. The vegetables are really what make this soup, so you want a lot of them!
The beauty of making chicken vegetable soup in the instant pot is you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Simply check your fridge and whip up this healthy soup with whatever you have on hand!
Can I use frozen chicken in this chicken vegetable soup recipe?
Yes. You can use frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs in-place of cooked chicken in this recipe. You will need to increase the cook time to 40 minutes. Once it is done cooking, remove the chicken and dice or shred before mixing it back in the soup.
Can you freeze chicken vegetable soup?
Yes, you can freeze chicken vegetable soup. Let the soup cool down to room temperature and ladle into freezer friendly containers. Freeze up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the soup, defrost overnight in the fridge or pour the frozen soup into a stock pot over medium heat. Stir until defrosted and warmed through. You can also reheat the soup in your instant pot using the saute button. Read more about freezing soup.
What’s the best container to freeze soup?
I love freezing soup in round pyrex dishes. They are very sturdy and keep my soup nice and fresh. I use either the 4-cup round storage pyrex dish or 2-cup pyrex, depending on how much soup I have leftover.
Can I freeze soup in Ziploc bags?
Yes. Freezing soup in ziplock bags is a great way to save space in your freezer. Just make sure you are using the bags that say “freezer” on the carton because they are thicker. Just fill up your ziplock bag with cooled soup and squeeze as much air out as possible. You can use a straw for this and then zip the bag well.
Lay the bag of soup flat to freeze and then you can stack them up to save space or squeeze them on top of other items. Soup also defrosts well from frozen. To defrost, place the bag of frozen soup in a shallow baking dish of warm water until defrosted. Once it’s semi-defrosted, you can reheat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
You may also like our recipe for instant pot chicken and vegetables.
What goes with vegetable soup?
This soup is really filling and a healthy meal on it’s own. If you want to make something to go with it, I recommend baking some fresh bread! You can try our recipe for 30 minute dinner rolls, fast and easy buscuits, or cheesy garlic bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 small carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Press sauté button on instant pot.
- Add in olive oil and onion.
- Sauté until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Turn instant pot off.
- Pour in chicken broth and deglaze bottom of pot.
- Mix in chicken, kale, celery, carrots, green beans, peas, chilies, salt, pepper, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Whisk in tomato paste.
- Close lid and set pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press manual or pressure cook button and set to 7 minutes.
- Natural pressure release.
Instant pot chicken vegetable soup can be refrigerated up to 3 days and frozen up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The "I Love My Instant Pot" Affordable Meals Recipe Book
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
SteamMates Wraps Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt | Customize Your Instant Pot with Different Designs | Fits InstaPot Duo 6 qt ONLY | Spring Floral Red Duo 6 Qt
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 49mgSodium 1676mgCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 7gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 16g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot chicken vegetable soup? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment! You can also tag us on social media using @aileencooks.