Make this quick and easy instant pot goulash recipe tonight! This instant pot pasta recipe is a quick and easy one-pot dinner made with elbow macaroni, ground beef, peppers, and onions.
I have a confession. I had never tried goulash until I made this instant pot goulash recipe. Maybe it’s because I’m in California and not the Midwest. Goulash was never something I had even considered making until I saw it discussed in one of the instant pot groups on Facebook (join my group here).
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
I knew instantly that I had to try it and was not disappointed. It kind of reminds me of hamburger helper, but better. Because it’s a from-scratch, home cooked meal, that is ready in just minutes. Thanks to my handy Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker. (affiliate link)
I love a good one-pot pasta recipe. Here are some other favorite easy pasta dishes: instant pot cheesy taco pasta, instant pot crack chicken pasta, one-pot smoked sausage and kale pasta, and instant pot baked ziti.
What is Goulash?
This goulash recipe (also known as American Chop Suey) is a tomato based instant pot pasta dish filled with ground beef, pasta, bell pepper & onion, and lots of delicious spices. It’s one of those perfectly satisfying and hearty meals that are easy enough to make that you can pull it off on a weeknight. Another favorite weeknight meal is cheeseburger sliders.
How to make this instant pot goulash
This instant pot goulash recipe is pretty simple.
- Start with a good base by browning a pound of ground beef with some peppers and onions.
- Then you mix in your tomatoes and seasonings.
- Top it all with pasta, pasta sauce, and water.
- Cook on high pressure with a QPR (quick pressure release) and dinner is ready!
We like ours topped with sharp cheddar cheese for an added layer of flavor.
Can you freeze goulash?
Yes, you can freeze goulash. Make sure it is fully cooled before freezing. Place in an air-tight freezer safe container or freezer friendly bag. If using a freezer bag, suck out the air with a straw – this keeps it fresher longer! Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to heat the frozen goulash, defrost overnight or defrost in the microwave on the defrost setting. Then, follow the reheating instructions below.
How to reheat instant pot goulash?
This goulash recipe also makes great leftovers. Just reheat in the microwave with a little bit of water and you’re set with a tasty hot lunch. I reheat it for 1.5-2.5 minutes, depending on the strength of microwave.
Goulash can also be reheated directly in the instant pot. Simply place the leftover goulash in the instant pot with 2 tablespoons of water or broth. Press the sauté button and stir frequently until warmed through.
You may also like: Instant Pot Roast Beef
Why make goulash in the instant pot?
That’s simple. Clean-up and time!
Although you do have to take the time to brown the ground beef for this goulash recipe, it’s totally hands off after that. I love that everything cooks in all the same pot – making clean up a breeze.
What to serve with instant pot goulash?
This simple and filling dinner is great on it’s own. If you want to serve it alongside something else, we recommend a simple green salad or cheesy garlic bread.
What size instant pot does this recipe use?
We tested this recipe in a 6 quart duo but an 8 quart will also work.
Is that pasta cooked or uncooked when you put it in the instant pot?
The pasta is uncooked. It will cook in the sauce along with the other ingredients.
Make this quick and easy instant pot goulash recipe tonight! This instant pot pasta recipe is a quick and easy dinner made with elbow macaroni, ground beef, peppers, and onions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 26 ounce jar marinara (or homemade)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, mix in onion, bell pepper, and ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned. About 5 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and salt and pepper (to taste) and saute for another 30 seconds, until garlic is fragrant.
- Turn off instant pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, basil, and bay leaf. Mix and scrape up any bits off the bottom of the instant pot.
- Then pour in the elbow macaroni and top with marinara and water. Do not stir.
- Close lid on instant pot and set to sealing. Cook on manual - high pressure, for 5 minutes.
- Do a controlled quick pressure release (Let the steam out in bursts).
- Mix and serve immediately, topped with sharp cheddar.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 650 Total Fat 35g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 16g Cholesterol 131mg Sodium 944mg Carbohydrates 38g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 7g Sugar 13g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 45g
This recipe for instant pot goulash made me fall in love with goulash. What do you think about goulash? Love it or hate it?