Make this crowd pleasing jalapeno cheddar cornbread tonight! It’s perfectly sweet and spicy and is amazing when paired with a bowl of warm chili!
This recipe is classic cornbread with a kick! This cornbread features sharp cheddar cheese and roasted jalapenos.
How to make jalapeño cheddar cornbread?
Cornbread is incredible easy to make from scratch and just a few extra steps bring you this spicy version of our favorite side dish.
- Roast jalapeños: Slice the jalapeños lengthwise, remove seeds, and roast under your oven broiler until the jalapeños start to get crispy on top. Let cool slightly and dice up.
- Prepare cornbread batter: Mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in eggs, milk, and oil.
- Jalapeños & Cheddar: Fold in the diced and roasted jalapeños and shredded sharp cheddar.
- Bake: Bake in a 400 degree oven golden brown around the edges.
How to make spicier cornbread?
This jalapeño cheddar cornbread recipe makes a mildly spicy cornbread. For extra spice, do not remove the seeds from the jalapeño. You can also add an additional roasted jalapeño to the batter, if desired.
What to serve with jalapeño cheddar cornbread?
This recipe for jalapeno cheddar cornbread pairs nicely with turkey chili and chicken tortilla soup. You could also serve it with a heartier meal like taco stuffed shells or Cajun sausage and potatoes.
Classic cornbread with a kick! This cornbread features sharp cheddar cheese and roasted jalapenos.
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Set your oven to broil.
- Slice your jalapenos length-wise and remove the seeds.
- Place under the broiler until they begin to crisp on top and the skin softens, 7-8 minutes. Dice and set aside
- Reset your oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the flour mix and add the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the grated cheddar and diced jalapenos.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 329 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 54mg Sodium 466mg Carbohydrates 29g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 12g
Did you try this recipe for jalapeño cheddar cornbread? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.