Easy to make jalapeno cheddar cornbread packed full of fresh roasted jalapeno and sharp cheddar. This cornbread is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Cornbread is incredible easy to make from scratch and just a few extra steps bring you this spicy version of our favorite side dish.
This recipe for jalapeno cheddar cornbread pairs nicely with turkey chili and chicken tortilla soup. You could also serve it with a heartier meal like taco stuffed shells or Cajun sausage and potatoes.
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Set your oven to broil.
- Slice your jalapenos length-wise and remove the seeds.
- Place under the broiler until they begin to crisp on top and the skin softens, 7-8 minutes. Dice and set aside
- Reset your oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the flour mix and the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the grated cheddar and diced jalapenos.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 293