This post for banana chocolate chip cake contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Banana Chocolate Chip cake is like banana bread’s lighter and sweeter cousin. It turns out light and fluffy thanks to the change in method and the cake pan versus the loaf pan. The mini chocolate chips don’t hurt in adding it to the dessert section, either.
I like to call it a “snack cake” so I can justify eating it on a random Tuesday instead of waiting for a special occasion. My husband would disagree, he told me it’s definitely a regular cake and I need to not make it all the time. Okay, okay. You decide if it’s a snack or a dessert and report back, mkay? Thanks! 🙂
I use a glass baking dish for this recipe. If you prefer to use metal, note the different baking temperatures as they vary depending on your baking dish. This is the dish I used.
Ripening bananas for banana chocolate chip cake
If you want to try making this banana chocolate chip cake, but don’t have super ripe bananas – check out this trick to ripen your bananas quickly in the oven.
You may also like: Peanut Butter Bars with Chocolate Frosting and Strawberry Banana Muffins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas, very ripe and mashed
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees (for a glass pan) or 350 degrees (for a metal pan)
- Grease an 8x11 pan and set aside
- Combine milk and white vinegar in a bowl and let sit. This will create soured milk. Buttermilk may be used in place of the soured milk and the vinegar can be omitted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the sugar and softened butter. Beat on high for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides 1-2 times.
- Add the eggs and mix until fully combined.
- Add the vanilla and mashed bananas. Mix until just combined.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix a few times. Next, add 1/2 of the soured milk (or buttermilk). Then mix in another 1/3 of the dry mixture followed by the soured milk. Finish with the last of the dry mixture and stir until just combined (a few dry streaks is okay).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the banana chocolate chip cake into the greased cake pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake, comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325
Source: This recipe was adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Other delicious banana recipes:
- Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- The Best Double Chocolate Muffins
- Moist and Delicious Banana Bread
- Instant Pot Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Muffins with Vanilla Glaze