Make this double chocolate muffins recipe today! The addition of whole wheat flour and banana make it a healthier version of your favorite chocolate muffin, yet still super chocolatey and delicious.
We love baking homemade muffins around here. We have shared recipes for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins with Streusel Topping,Banana Blueberry Muffins with Vanilla Muffin Glaze, Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, Healthy Morning Glory Muffins and Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins.
The Best Double Chocolate Muffins
I have something special for you today. They are super moist, perfectly sweet, chocolaty and gooey when warm – they are seriously the best double chocolate muffins recipe. I am not kidding.
They taste like Costco double chocolate muffins. But better, because this chocolate muffin recipe doesn’t have any added preservatives or extra yucky stuff in them. They are homemade and even have whole wheat flour – but they are still amazingly delicious.
The Flour in this Chocolate Muffin Recipe
You can even skip the whole wheat part and use all-purpose flour if you wanted to. I just prefer using white whole wheat flour in muffins, because it makes me feel less guilty about calling them breakfast. And then I can have seconds, right?
I love this chocolate muffin recipe because they come out of the oven perfectly bouncy on top and soft and the chocolate chips are all melty. MMM, I think I might have another one right now. Just try them and you’ll see.
Can double chocolate muffins be frozen?
Yes. Muffins freeze very well. Simply let them cool to room temperature and pop them in a zip-top freezer safe bag or freezer safe container. Freeze up to 3 months. To defrost, just take them out and let them defrost at room temperature for an hour or so.
How Long Will homemade muffins keep?
About 2 to 3 days. If you plan on keeping them longer than that, then you should freeze them. They are easy enough to defrost on the counter or in the microwave.
What kind of oil do you use for muffins?
Many muffin recipes use conola or vegetable oil. This recipe for double chocolate muffins is made with coconut oil. The mild coconut flavor pairs nicely with the double chocolate flavors.
Our favorite double chocolate muffins made with a banana bread muffin base.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating after each addition. Once fully combined, add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Once the flour is fully incorporated, fold in the banana and chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the muffin mix into the muffin tin, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, until a toothpick poked in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
To freeze: Let muffins fully cool. Place muffins in a freezer safe zip-top bag. Label and freeze up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 188mgCarbohydrates 30gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 17gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is an estimate.